Macbook Pro - Turns On, but does not boot. Help :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neenja, Apr 16, 2011.

1. neenja macrumors 6502

Early 2008 mbp. It was running fine today when I was at work, I get home plug it in and notice the magsafe light is orange. I try to boot it up and nothing shows up on the screen. So I let it sit and charge. The magsafe light is now green.

When I hold down the power button to turn it on, I hear the lil dvd drive sound (the buzz/scan sound that you hear when it first turns on), I hear the fans.. and thats it. The little light on the button that is pressed to open the lid turns on. Caps lock key does not light up when pressed. I've tried resetting SMC and it does not help. I cannot get it to reset NVRAM because it does not boot up.. just turns on.

Any ideas? :(

2. sirkification macrumors newbie

Your hard drive could be stuffed, thats what happened to mine

3. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks ggj, ive seen those articles and tried it all..

if the hd is stuffed, would replacing it pretty much bring it back to life? sigh.. wish i backed up.

i have an appointment with the "genius" bar at 1215.

4. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I would presume your HDD needs replacing. Read the following article by Apple, it should provide some useful information:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1365

If nothing seems to work, it would be best to replace the hard drive, that is obviously if your MBP has a HDD, not an SSD - these are much more expensive.

Contact Apple, as you said, go to the genius bar and they should help you out. By the way, do you have any warranty or anything on your MBP?

5. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

sadly no. i got this badboy early 2008. apparently the only out-of-warranty thing i can replace is the nvidia card issue..

6. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Have you tried just replacing the HDD with a new one? There's plenty available for sale on eBay that are very cheap (obviously depending how big a storage you require). It could save you the time and hassle of trying to fix this else-how.

7. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

i took it into apple and the geniusbar guy ran some diagnostic tests along with the nvidia diag test. determinded that the mbp powers up but doesnt boot and no video shows (exactly what was happening).

he filled out an order form for a new logicboard and got his manager to override it so the $600 charge was waived! :)

they had to order a new one since non was in stock.. so ill be gettin my mbp back roughly around wed-thurs. i of course had to sign a waiver form stating i would be ok if i were to lose data. im keeping my fingers crossed that the hd is still alive and that only the logicboard was fried.

but all in all, im just glad ill still have a working mbp. apple rocks :)

8. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Yeah, their customer support is excellent - as long as you get an "genius" on your side ;)

9. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

Dropped off my MBP on a Sunday evening, picked it up on a Wednesday evening. All is working again! <3 Apple

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

That's regular policy, not an exception, not to rain on your parade. The 8600GT is internally waranteed "forever" and not just 4 years from purchase :p

11. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

no rain at all on my parade :)

ive seen apple replace tons of stuff that should be out of warranty. friend of mine recently got her iphone 4. literally a few weeks later she dropped it and the entire screen was cracked. apple replaced it with no questions asked.

i guess it really depends on the luck of the draw with what rep you speak to.. but still, that rocks ;)

12. tofkop macrumors newbie

Do you have any idea what caused it? was it the logic board or the graphic card? I'm having the same problem with the same macbook model, but here in belgium there arent any macstore´s, and the "official resellers" i´ve talked to won´t help me out...
    want to know if there´s a chance i could get it repaired for free as well since i don´t have the 900euro´s to repair it...

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Try calling Apple directly, they have a specific hardware test for this model's logic board which can check for graphics card failure.

14. tofkop macrumors newbie

called, they told me it should be my harddrive, which i doubt... going to bring it to a service point later today.

15. malana macrumors member

had the same thing happen yesterday to my mbp early 2008. put the logicboard into the oven and now it works again. I still can't believe it worked.
    do it! it's easy enough.

but now the fans are running full speed all the time - smc reset doesn't do a thing! must be the smc bypass/debugging routine I did (removed battery/press power button, hold it/attach power plug/release it/press power button again, but short). how the f do I get rid of the full speed fans?

16. tofkop macrumors newbie

They said they have to replace the Logic board, and it cost's 680euros... so i'll be looking for a new laptop, chances are small it will be a mac...