Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

integral93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
I accidentally deleted some files in some directory while cleaning up the disk (emptied the trash also) and now I am unable to open App Store, Itunes, safari, etc
Basically I cannot open any file ending with .app

Some details about my system:
Mac OS X 10.8.2
No longer have the CD

Example of error while trying to open App Store:
Application Specific Information:
*** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInvalidArgumentException', reason: '-[WebPreferences setSuppressesIncrementalRendering:]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7fc69c4135f0'
terminate called throwing an exception
abort() called

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Without knowing what files you deleted, we can't really diagnose the problem. It is never a good idea to go around deleting system files if you don't know what you are doing.

Sounds like you are going to have to re-install the OS to get things back to normal.

Unless you do have a backup? You do have a backup, don't you??

integral93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
maybe anyone knows which files are responsible for the execution of .app extentions

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
maybe anyone knows which files are responsible for the execution of .app extentions

That could be a multitude of things and flying blind, any suggestions could cause more harm than good

I would take old-wiz's suggestion and reinstall the OS
I think that is going to be the only way to be sure you get what you need back

Or if you have Time Machine, just roll back a bit :)
Or if you have a clone, reinstall from there

If not, I would take this as an opportunity (once corrected) to start using a backup system :)

integral93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
That could be a multitude of things and flying blind, any suggestions could cause more harm than good

I would take old-wiz's suggestion and reinstall the OS
I think that is going to be the only way to be sure you get what you need back

Or if you have Time Machine, just roll back a bit :)
Or if you have a clone, reinstall from there

If not, I would take this as an opportunity (once corrected) to start using a backup system :)

Is there a away to back my current applications? or leave them when re-installing the OS. Also is there a way to re-install without deleting bootcamp, as I also run windows 7

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I accidentally deleted some files in some directory while cleaning up the disk (emptied the trash also) and now I am unable to open App Store, Itunes, safari, etc
Basically I cannot open any file ending with .app

Some details about my system:
Mac OS X 10.8.2
No longer have the CD
If your Mac came with Mountain Lion, it didn't come with a CD. Use OS X Recovery to restore you system files.

integral93

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
I rebooted and started Mac with command+R,
from there, I chose the Safari icon to search the apple support page,
Safari browser opened, I opened another tab and it allowed me to browse anything.

I then rebooted to normal mode and it no longer worked.

So, this should mean that the files are somewhere for that to work

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I rebooted and started Mac with command+R,
from there, I chose the Safari icon to search the apple support page,
Safari browser opened, I opened another tab and it allowed me to browse anything.

I then rebooted to normal mode and it no longer worked.

So, this should mean that the files are somewhere for that to work

There is a version of Safari on the recovery partition and that is what you were running from when you did that command-r boot.

It sounds like you deleted some system files these apps need to run. Just go back to that recovery screen by doing another command-r boot. From that screen just click reinstall OS and that will download the entire OS and fix those missing support files you deleted. This will not overwrite or delete any of your data. You should backup first just to be safe though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.