Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
So I have had a bit of a sorted history with MacBook Pros of late. Currently my model's battery is giving me no end of anger and bewilderment...

Anyway, it has been crashing, a lot, lately. Its not a Kernel Panic crash, its the kind where when you listen to music or play a game, the last moment of audio repeats over and over again. Complete failure.

It usually has been happening while playing Call of Duty 4. Its not consistent, its doesn't crash every time I play, just now and then. I was just editing and exporting some video with Premiere Pro and Quicktime Pro and just tanked. I think it is heat related since its always after getting an intense workout. I know the fans are spinning up, I can hear them. Using SMCfancontrol, I always keep the fans at a minimum of 3000...

Anyway, I know the first gen UniBodies still struggled with the nVidia chipsets. I didn't get mine at launch in October, it wasn't until January that I got it. Also, about a month after I got it, the logic board was replaced for the battery related issues.

Is it possible they put a defective logic board in? Wouldn't all their stock have been replaced with better ones by now?! Is there something else I can try, or is it going to need another logic swap? I really can't be without this machine for very long, again...

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
Under OSX, don't use Boot Camp all that much. Not sure of the temperture, since the machine crashes. Not sure about the temperture, since it usually happens in a game. I know it's towards the top end of the 70C, 80C range because the fans were goin wild.

I'm concerned they will want to give me a new machine, the new ones don't have the expresscard slot, which I need because I have a 5bay eSATA rig...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.