macbook pro unfreezes when I hit it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alantor, May 2, 2011.

1. alantor macrumors member

So I have been having a lot of problems with my 15" unibody core i7 MBP where it just hangs for a long time (5-10 minutes) or indefinitely.

I thought it was a software issue so I did a fresh install from the system disks and I am still having problems.

One problem that reoccurs randomly is the login screen appears when the laptop boots up but doesn't completely fade in, not allowing me to type in my password.
    http://alan-torres.com/post/images/login_freeze.png
    Out of frustration I started mashing random keys and voila! it finished fading in.

The other night Aperture didn't want to open when I was trying to show someone some photos (this happens randomly as well). I explained my laptop problems to the person and jokingly smacked the bottom right corner of the laptop a couple times. The screen distorted for a second but then all of a sudden everything unfroze and Aperture loaded up.
    Next time I need to get it on video, it was quite humorous.

Another strange thing is that now Photoshop will tell me that there is a problem with the display driver whenever I open it.
    http://alan-torres.com/post/images/driver_issue.png

This has to be a hardware issue right?
    I am thinking that the violent mashing of keys and smacking is moving something inside of the laptop to make it work.

It's just kind of frustrating because I know that if I go to the apple store that my laptop will magically be issue free.

What do you friendly forum-readers think?

2. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

Could be your HDD, try getting that replaced. The bottom right corner I believe is the location of your hard drive

3. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

And do you know why it's his HDD? BECAUSE HE KEEPS HITTING IT.
    Hitting a computer is NEVER the solution.

4. darknite38 macrumors regular

Take it to the apple store, it will magically be issue free upon the returning of your computer.

That's what I think.

5. alantor thread starter macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I installed a SSD and RAM myself. Do they care at the store if you do this?

Also, I wasn't hitting it hard. It was something more along the lines of the normal shock your laptop would get in transport. My choice of verbs may have been a little extreme.

6. frankieboy macrumors regular

Let's try replacing the original drive and/or RAM, and see if your hangs go away.

7. alantor thread starter macrumors member

8. Ccrew macrumors 68020

No, but it does render some momentary satisfaction :p

9. Treeman574 macrumors regular

But hitting a calculator on the other hand...
    Often older casio calculators need a small "jump start" to the solar powered battery if they haven't been used in a while.

If you are having problems see apple, don't damage your laptop further. It'll just void you warranty.

10. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Its not ok to hit a computer! They have feelings too!
    But seriously, considering the only moving part in the laptop is the HDD, that seems like the most likely place where the problem will be. Might be a good opportunity to upgrade to a SSD if you are out of warranty.

EDIT.
    Just read this part.
    So if you have a SSD already... can't be a HDD issue.
    And nope, SSD and RAM are upgrades that you are allowed to undertake yourself. I would take it back to the store if I was you.

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

maybe it is some contact problem. Make a movie next time it happens and than send the whole thing in with the movie as a problem report.

We used to have a TV (actually we still have it) that occasionally just turned of after a while. Like it worked 10 mins than it flickered and a little while later the picture disapeared. When you beat it on the top however it came back on and worked for another 10-30min. After some trial and error everybody knew the right technique of hitting it. Eventually we got it repaired and now it has been working for years without any troubles.
    Yes I still watch TV on a CRT.

12. mac8867 macrumors 6502

They will care only to the extent that they will most likely say you have a bad hard drive or bad RAM, charge you $125 and send you on your way with no correction.

Put your stock ram and hard drive back in the machine and see if the problem persists. My guess is your SSD is not playing nice. What year/model machine, what ssd?

13. alantor thread starter macrumors member

^I sold the original parts on eBay

It's a 2010 MacBook Pro 15" with a 2.66 GHz Core i7, 8GB of 1067 MHz DDR3 Mushkin RAM, and a 80gb Intel X25-m SSD

The laptop is almost a year old. I shouldn't be charged for having apple taking a look at it because its still under warranty right?

14. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You will if the determination is that it's a failure of a third party component (ram, hdd)

15. FOX160 macrumors regular

Disagree I would think that Apple will check the machine and run
    tests and diagnose the problem and if its the outside updated hardware
    then i know they would point out what to replace it with.

16. alantor thread starter macrumors member

Well, I'm about to find out. At the apple store now.

17. mac jones macrumors 68040

Tell them to hit it a few times so they can see what your talking about

18. Detrius macrumors 68000

Don't tell them you hit the machine. They may just call it accidental damage and make you pay for it.

We have a couple customers who are notorious for hitting their machines and breaking them. One guy hit his machine out of anger, and the hard drive's head scraped across the platter. He wound up paying Drive Savers a few thousand dollars to get his data off the drive.

19. alantor thread starter macrumors member

Well it's too late! I showed them the videos and they asked no further questions.

They are shipping it back to me in a few days.