Macbook pro uni burning up.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DYER, Feb 6, 2009.

1. DYER macrumors 6502

Ok I know there have been similar threads before but still none of them seem to have explanations or fixes.
    First off I own a MBP Uni 2.8ghz 4gb 320 7200
    My heat issues arise whilst using the 9600m gt and either playing cod 4 or ps cs4 when working with large images

Now when I say hot what I actally mean it burning up. i actually burnt myself yesterday on it as it hit according to istat pro 104 C.
    That cannot be healthy for me or my mbp. And I am sorry but running COD4 should not be a problem and I loose a hell of a lot of performance when it goes above 83c.
    I have tried using Fan control but uninstalled it yesterday to see if apple could do a better job, evidently not... mind you with fan control it seemed the fans were limited to 5400 rpm whereas apple takes em to 6200 rpm.

This cannot be normal... I mean i actually burnt myself enough for me to notice it today its a laptop not a nuclear power plant...

Does anyone really class this as normal or has someone screwed up?
    If it helps I had the laptop open to aid cooling as I was running it with my 20" ACD i just cannot work out why it get *that* hot.

Someone help me this is rediculous :mad:

2. DYER thread starter macrumors 6502

I am quite worried about the none response for the simple reason that it means macs hitting 104C are normal
    i mean heck my idle is 70C atm...
    i guess you cannot have everything lol :(

3. semitry macrumors member

Mine gets really really hot at times too, when just watching videos. It's common with older macbook pros. I thought the newer ones should run cooler but nope, super scorching hot here as well.

4. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

there isnt much air circulation in a computer that thin so heat is dissipated through the aluminum casing. there will be a lot of heat if youre using the graphics card hard and if it overheats your computer will shut off by itself. if it hasnt done that then thats just how it is. its a drawback of having a very thin computer.

5. kousuke18 macrumors regular

104 degrees Celcius seems a little too hot to me. I own a classic mbp and the highest it has ever gotten under full load was 84 degrees celcius, and that is with the video card oc'd to 685mhz core speed. I'm suspecting that whoever applied the thermal paste screwed up... :mad:

6. DYER thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm that was along the lines what i was thinking... 104 is extremely hot and even as i sit here with skpy adium itunes safari and mail open im at 70C
    Do you think it is worth going to an apple store to get it looked at... i know I can replicate it with ease....

7. flanamac macrumors 6502

Yeah perhaps, but you have to compare apples to apples to see if it is the norm, or not. Older models that are thicker perhaps are better cooled by fans, than heat dissipation.

8. kousuke18 macrumors regular

Definitely make an appointment with your local apple store and see what they can do. Afterall, you did pay a good premium for a working computer, and not one that overheats.

btw I noticed in your sig that you got the computer back in october; did this problem just occur recently?

9. DYER thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really its always been there but i didn't ever play games in osx untill recently. I nromally had windows and it actually shut down because it got so hot. Now in osx i saw the temperature for gaming for the first time as i opend cod4 in windowed mode so had the temp on my menu bar for me to see.
    I also only got cs4 back in december (took me a while to save for it) but thats always run in the high 90's.
    I think the main reasoin I am noticing this now more so than before is that I changed my setup a bit (20" acd) and i now have enough real estate to run things in windowed mode so i actually see the temp in the menu bar i knew it got hot just not *that* hot.
    Also I am using the 9600m gt more often there are not any problems when using the 9400m and it idles at 40c with that but i dont game with it lol
    Ill book it in next week ...

10. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I don't understand why someone who has an obvious problem with their computer doesn't take their computer in or call Apple. If your computer is under warranty and is NOT behaving correctly you have to let Apple solve it, not post on Macrumors to see if someone has a magical solution to fixing a hardware issue.

If you get physically burned by touching anywhere on the outside of your computer, that means there is something wrong with it. Don't install fan control, open your computer to ventilate... or run software gizmos to cool your machine. Take it to Apple and get it fixed. Simple.

11. DYER thread starter macrumors 6502

actually i only asked as its quite a lot of hassle for me to get down to the store, i dont have that much spare time at the moment and dont want to go down if this is "normal" behaviour thats why I ask here ^^

allthough i will not go in sometime next week to get it looked at