MacBook Pro Unibody 15.4" Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hangtyte, Sep 22, 2009.

1. hangtyte macrumors newbie

I bought a MacBook Pro Unibody a month ago. I had the stock 250GB HDD inside of it. I replaced it with a 320GB WD HDD. The screen was white after powering on, and wouldn't get past that stage. I put it inside an external enclosure and strangely it booted up and allowed me to install Snow Leopard. I took it to the shop and they said the hard drive was faulty ?!? so I'm looking at it now and it's working cause i'm writing this post now.

The question I have is in regards to returning to the store tomorrow. Should I leave the inside of the Mac hard drive less and carry the hard drive with me in the enclosure tomorrow? Or should I leave the hard drive inside the computer and then have them open it up and diagnose the drive? I am looking for the quickest way possible. I wasn't sure how apple would look if I brought the computer in without the drive... I just want to show them how crap of a job they did and show them the drive works fine. Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance!!

2. hangtyte thread starter macrumors newbie

I was going to do that, but since they said the hard drive was faulty, i wanted to show them first hand that it works perfectly. This is my third conflict with apple and so i'm pretty disappointed.

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Remove the upgrade and put the stock drive back in. Then try to replicate the problem. If you can, then bring it in with the stock drive installed and have them fix it. After they fix it try to reintall your upgrade and see if you have the same problem. If you do, there is indeed a problem with your end.

Apple will not support third party devices no matter how much you argue and they will always blame that device for any malfunction. The only thing you can do is remove that from the equation.

4. hangtyte thread starter macrumors newbie

The stock drive works fine. The only problem is the space issue. I need more space for my projects which is why I am upgrading. When I connect the third party drive to an external exclosure (SATA - USB) it allows me to access Snow Leopard. When I put that same drive inside my computer, the computer won't boot. I think there is some issue with the controller inside the computer.... but then again, the other drive works. It doesn't make sense why it runs through the external, but not the internal.....

5. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I bet that Apple will want the Original equipment back in to run tests anyway.

But, if it was me, i would just stick the original back in, and throw the new drive in the external enclosure; and run your files off of that.

6. hangtyte thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but with this new system... It should just work right? I bought this 500GB 7200RPM drive, but if this little 320GB won't run the race, then something is up.... I'll see what apple has to say tomorrow.... frustrating like none other....

7. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Yes, it should work. Maybe check the manufacturers website, and see if there is a new firmware update or something? Sorry, i'm not much help.