MacBook Pro Unibody 15" trackpad problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CosmicPope, Oct 25, 2010.

1. CosmicPope macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

first things first: My name is Thomas and I am from Germany, so please excuse my English.

I searched the whole web to find a solution, but I've never read about the exact problem. It is about the trackpad in my late 2008 15 inch MacBook Pro. It is pretty worn out since I used it everyday after I bought it two years ago.

Suddenly the cursor switches and starts highlighting text or pictures and I can't do anything. It was infrequent at first, but since a couple weeks it returns more often. The only chance to get it back to normal is to restart the Mac.

Of course I know about the system preferences and the box "Tap to click" in the trackpad settings, but I would like to keep that function. It worked for nearly two years, why should I change it now?;)

So, anyone knows this problem? What can I do? I am considering to change the whole trackpad because it ain't that "cripsy" anymore.

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
    Thomas

2. CosmicPope thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast reply. I'll try that and hopefully it's gone. Otherwise I will post again.

And by the way: Sorry for posting in the wrong thread, maybe someone can put it under "MacBook Pro" instead of "MacBook". Shame on me....:(

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Use the report-post button (the warning triangle under your username on the left of the thread) to report the first post and a moderator will move it for you.

4. CosmicPope thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately the problem isn't gone. So I guess I have to get a new trackpad?

Is it even possible to change just the trackpad or do I need the whole upper case including keyboard and trackpad?

Thanks again!

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not sure. I'd take a look on ifixit.com and see what they say...

6. CosmicPope thread starter macrumors newbie

I took a look and also called the Apple store a couple a minutes ago. They also said that they can only change the whole upper case.

I will search on Ebay, luckily the ration Dollar : Euro is very good at the moment, maybe I'll find a trackpad.