Macbook Pro Unibody 2.53 constantly freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vezz, Nov 15, 2009.

1. vezz macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2008
    Hi guys,

I bought this MBP on release, and after a few months I experienced some issues. Issues like a loud left fan (and if I push the tab key I can "touch" the fan) and a loose screen spring (laptop did not fall though).
    Anyway I intended to bring my computer in for service, but since the issues weren't a big deal, I postponed it as long as possible (I'm a professional DJ preforming with Traktor Scratch Pro and Ableton) I also own a previous generation Macbook Pro used for school stuff. This one is in the shop because a friend of mine sat on it and broke the keyboard.

Now, whilst preforming last week, my Unibody froze during playing (never happend before). Had to push the power button for 5 sec., you know the drill. I thought this happened because I used my computer for school stuff the other week (installed adobe creative suite, iwork and stuff like that).
    So I bought a new hard-drive (Scorpio black, 320) and installed snow leopard on it. the idea was that I could switch between my school hard-drive and my preforming hard-drive. When Testing: Freeze. Formatted again, installed Leopard Again. Freeze. Took my old hard-drive tried with Leopard and SL. Freeze. So hard-drive or software isn't the issue. Tried switching between 9400 en 9600. No difference, still freezes. Also the freezes occur even when the computer isn't stressed.

I also noticed my screen flickers black (know issue, right?).

Anyway, I'm bringing my computer in for service. But I can only do that if my old MBP is finished. (since I have to use it for school and preforming).

Do you guys have any idea what the problem is, and how I can avoid it from freezing? Because I have 3 gigs in the next week, can't do them without my laptop. And do you think the issues (fan,screen,freeze) are related?

Edit: Techtool Pro doesn't report any issues
  2. pharao111 macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2007
    re: freezes

i have the same issue but in my case my harddrive was the broken part so I'm currently waiting for replacement but my hardware check didn't show that problem neither so I think that test is kind a unreliable. In your case there are two things that could be broken: 1. your notebooks memory is damaged that can cause the freezes as soon the damaged memory unit is addressed or 2. your notebooks mainboard is faulty due a manufacturing problem but in both cases you'll get replacement anyways... good luck!
  3. melman101 macrumors 68030

Sep 3, 2009
    Yeah, there is nothing you can do. Just bring it back to the Apple Store. Sorry for your problems.
  4. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    If you're having all those issues, then I'd give apple a call, or visit your local apple store. Don't put up with these issues, as its not right.

I have a 2.53 uniboday MBP (late 08 model) and my machine does not exhibit any of those symptoms.
  5. vezz thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2008
    still waiting until my old MBP is repaired. I find it ridiculous that Applecare, which in belgium you pay 349.00 EUR(522.541 USD) for, doesn't include a replacement computer. My repair centre wants to charge my 100€, 150$/week for a replacement.

I put my money on a logicboard failure; having problems with my screen (the flicker) and the freezes. But we'll see!