Macbook Pro unibody 2009 popping sound.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Artmuzz, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

My brand new MacBook Pro seems to have a problem.

When I am downloading off the internet, I can hear a popping sound every 20 seconds. The sound seems to come from the hard drive.

Is this normal?

Art

2. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess this is nothing to be worried about? Is it?

Art

3. Winters macrumors member

It sounds like your hd might be about to die, you should probably have apple check your mbp.

4. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

About to die!!!!:eek::eek::eek: I only bought my MacBook Pro brand new last week.:mad:

When I say a popping sound, its not a loud sound - it sounds like a water drop sound from a tap but I hear it sometimes or every 20 seconds when downloading off the net.

Art

5. Winters macrumors member

One more reason to have it checked, you probably were unlucky and had a bad hd fitted in your macbook pro.

6. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I am p****d with Apple:mad: I spent nearly two grand on this thing and this happens. I have lost my faith in Apple products now. Just to think Apple used to make quality machines:( Do they not check machines before they send them out to shops:mad:

I would send it to an Apple store or repair centre but the nearest Apple store is 100 miles away and it means spending more money getting there. I bought my Macbook Pro from my local PC World as there is no Apple stores near me.

Art

7. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I did an Apple hardware Test and there are no problems. Everything is fine.:confused:

Art

8. poena macrumors newbie

Or it could be a feature and not a fault. Maybe the sound you are hearing is the hard drive reading heads parking.

9. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope so. I just found something on the Apple site forum today and they are saying the same as yourself that it could be the hard drive heads parking.

I only bought my new MacBook Pro brand new last week and it would p*** me off totally if it was my hard drive dieing. I was totally annoyed after spending hard earned cash two years ago on my first MacBook Pro to find out on this forum that it has a dodgy graphics card and that it will fail sooner or later hence the reason for my rant on this post about losing faith in Apple products when I was told that my new MacBook Pro has a failing Hard Drive.

Art

10. Winters macrumors member

The problem with hd sounds is that its hard to tell if they are just head parking sounds which is more a bug than a feature if it happens so often or a real bad hd clicks if you just read about it on a forum ;).
    If your problem is really just head parking, there is a blog talking about it and different ways to try and reduce it, it may also help you check if it really is a head parking sound if the fix works.

11. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

OS X is turning out to be notorious for creating CLIKCING HDD's THAT ARE NOT BROKEN, ONLY HIGHLY ANNOYING.

I WONDER IF STEVE JOBS IS DEAF!

HDAPM USED TO WORK, UNDER 10.6.2...NOT SO SURE.