Macbook Pro Unibody, heavy screen and/or weak hinge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LemmycautioN, Nov 8, 2008.

1. LemmycautioN macrumors member

I have noticed that my macbook pro's screen doesn't stay open as well as my Powerbook's. If I lean the computer forward the screen falls closed, making it impossible to use the machine while laying flat on my back (I'm lazy). I haven't gotten the chance to go into the mac store and test out their floor models. I believe that I have read some other post regarding this subject but I didn't see a thread.

Apologies if there is already a thread regarding this issue but as I had previously mentioned, I'm lazy.

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

As every other post about this issue says, this is normal. Due to heavier glass screen, and a slightly looser hinge to make adjustment easier, and allow the magnet to latch.

3. smacman macrumors 6502

It is a design flaw. The Macbooks don't do it, so the Macbook Pros shouldn't either. Just because every machine has the flaw, it doesn't make it normal.

4. blurfonz macrumors regular

well dont lie down on the bed when using the mb :)

5. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

I lie down in bed with mine and it doesn't close. It only closes if the angle is very extreme angle.

The 17" machines have been doing this for years.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

For my lid to drop shut I have to hold it at a 90 degree angle, which would be awkward to use at that point.