Macbook Pro (unibody) RAM Part 2

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whitefang, Mar 9, 2009.

1. whitefang macrumors 6502

I'm going to upgrade the RAM from 2gigs to 4gigs this week. I'll be putting in DDR3 (PC-8500) type ram which will run hot at 1066mhz speeds.

Many of you recommended to get the RAM from Crucial. Do you know what brand of RAM Apple uses? My main concern is that whatever RAM Apple uses produces very little heat. I don't want to put in RAM that will cause the whole laptop to overheat so I'd rather go with the brand Apple is using.

Also, to test the RAM, I'd normally use memtest and run it for about 20 mins. Do you recommend something else? Maybe Apple's own mem test software? If so, where can I find it?

Also, is 4gigs the maximum ram for the unibody macbook pro? I read some posts that said 8gigs is supported.

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

You might get better results if you posted in the MacBook/MacBook Pro Forum instead of the Mac basics forum

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple use a variety of RAM suppliers: there is no such thing as "Apple RAM".

4Gb is the max supported by Apple right now. The hardware is capable of 8Gb but there are issues with this in Leopard. Hopefully these will be resolved by Snow Leopard. 6Gb has been reported to work fine.