Macbook Pro (Unibody) refuses to share internet.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by i_never_existed, May 22, 2009.

1. i_never_existed macrumors newbie

i_never_existed

Ok, I tried this same steps on my old macbook, and no problems, so this MUST be related to the new unibody version.

I cannot share internet.

Sure, I click on sharing, and it tells me that from my ethernet, I am sharing through my airport...

I can even see on my friends PC, my black macbook, and my iphone that the signal is there, and they connect... but that's it.

Try opening a website in Safari and the "not connected to Internet" appears.
    The iphone shows the WiFi signal... but it is not connected, and reverts back to 3G signal.

What gives? Have been using Mac for years, so I know how to do this, and trying the same thing FROM my black macbook to everyone works... but not from my unibody Pro.

Anyone else had this problem?

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If your iphone cant get access to the internet through WiFi it sounds like its your router. Can you access the internet at all?

3. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

No problems here

I have been sharing my usb modem internet with no problems. I just start internet sharing, then go to my husbands PC, or my G4 Powerbook and hook up. Recheck everything and keep trying...I assure you, it works very nicely...don't have a iphone, so can't give you feedback on that one.

4. i_never_existed thread starter macrumors newbie

i_never_existed

This is truly strange.

I have been working on macs for years, I know perfectly well how to share my Ethernet Connection through WiFi.

As I speak now I have my black notebook next to me, and the ONLY reason it's here is because I cannot share internet through the Macbook Pro.

I kow how to do this, I can do this with my eyes closed. With or without a password, this thing will simply not share internet. The macbook Pro has internet, it has 8MB's of internet. It says it's sharing, on any other telephone, notebook around they say it sees the signal, and can connect.. but once connected, they still dont have internet.

This is seriously annoying.

Am I going to have to take my Pro in to the shop? Is this sounding like a problem within the settings? I assure you I know what I am doing here, it simply is not working.

5. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

It's a stab in the dark, but since you can connect your other computers, and the only problem is they can't connect to the net...have you considered repairing permissions? Yes, it's just a guess, but...

And this might sound like an insult, you do know what you are doing, but could it be your hitting file sharing instead of internet share...the interface is so similar...perhaps? I know you are probably doing it all right, but the fact they can connect but not access the internet made me think of these too things..even though they are relatively obvious.

Hey, I had two major problems myself yesterday...in ichat no one could see my video but they could hear me....and safari kept crashing. Both things turned out to be operator error, I forgot I was downloading the update on firefox in the backround and it kept trying to install while i was trying to quit...on the ichat..I forgot I was on a very slow connection..so I wasted the major part of my day trying to fix things that were my own fault for not paying attention to what task was at hand. So don't feel bad if it's just a simple mistake....we all do it!

6. Behrd3d macrumors newbie

Same Prob !

Hi, I've same problem !
    it was working before but suddenly stop working !
    I could share my ethernet internet connection with my iPod Touch well but it's not workin now!
    donno what happened suddenly !

did you find any way to make it possible again?!