Macbook Pro Unibody: stuck pixel + shadow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by merisorul, Aug 21, 2010.

1. merisorul macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have a 15" Macbook Pro Unibody mid 2009 and there is a very discrete shadow in the center of the screen (approx. 0,5 cm). In the center of this shadow are 3-4 stuck red pixels (hot pixels). One of them is constant, the others appear occasionally (when I move the lid for example). If I knock in the lid or gently press the screen with a cloth, the constant stuck pixel disappears but reappears after restart. I used JscreenFix and a widget that rapidly changes color but...no success. What causes this shadow and stuck pixels? They are not disturbing and I can live with that but could they progress in time and affect all the display? I can't use my Apple warranty as I work in a different country.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

3. merisorul thread starter macrumors newbie

I only have the laptop and the charger with me, I work from 9 to 17 and live 20 km away from the nearest town. That is why I need to know if I have to worry concerning this matter.
    As I said, the pixel(s) don't bother me, I hardly notice them when working. I was wondering if this problem can progress, and what causes it?
    One pixel is 90% of time there (if I press the screen it dissappers but reappers after restart), the others - from time to time if I move/press the lid.

4. unwinded macrumors regular

I've seen quite a few LCD display over the years and any time something like you described happens, it's usually just the start of a developing issue. It's not uncommon for a new display to have stuck pixels, but it is for them to suddenly develop. Try gently massaging the area with a microfiber cloth. If it gets worse right away, obviously stop. If they go away just keep in mind that they could come back. But if there is a shadowy area, I would suspect the problem is just going to get worse and develop what I call a 'black hole'.

I would definitely get it checked out though. Is it still under warranty? I might be mistaken but I do believe there is warranty for one year if you didn't get Applecare (not sure if that has passed for you or not).

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

They'll fix the screen because of multiple dead pixels.

6. merisorul thread starter macrumors newbie

The only problem is that I only have my macbook and charger with me, I work from 9 to 17 at 20 km away from town. I don't have the sale receipt or box here, but I have registered my laptop with apple.

7. merisorul thread starter macrumors newbie

There are no dead pixels, just one stuck red pixel and 2 inconstant ones in the same very discrete shadowy area (approx. 0,5 cm).