Macbook Pro Unibody Turns off when I touch it? :( Hellllllpppppppp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by watermelon, Dec 26, 2009.

1. watermelon macrumors regular

Soooo
    My macbook pro unibody (a year old) has this problem.
    When its unplugged from the wall, with a full battery obviously, it works fine. Except if I lightly tap the computer, especially where I put my left palm when typing (above my ssd drive I think) it turns completely off. However, when the computer is plugged in, i can tap the computer as hard as I want (not too hard:) ) and nothing will happen (it stays on).

Anybody with advice? I'll love you forever!!!

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

Seems like you have a short I would assume. Probably not very good for your computer. Bring it to the Apple Store and get it fixed A.S.A.P. I would.

Sincerely,
    Mel

3. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Is this one of the models with a replaceable battery?
    It sounds like a loose battery connection. When you have it plugged in, is the battery indicator normal (no X through the battery)? Does it charge normally (and not stop when you touch it)?

Try cleaning the battery contacts (both on the battery and on the computer) with compressed air. You could try to bend the spring contacts on the battery slightly, but if the unibody battery looks anythign like the multibody battery, that would be difficult.

If you do have a non-replaceable battery, it is still possible that that is loose. Did you install the SSD yourself, and if so did you disconnect the battery in the process? Maybe open it up and check that connection.