MacBook Pro Unibody won't start past white screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigalthethird, May 4, 2011.

1. bigalthethird macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey guys,
    I'm sure there are other topics about this but I've been searching all night and nobody else seems to have the same symptoms.

My MacBook earlier today was working fine, and I left the room. When I came back, it was off. So I restarted, and it went to the white screen with the folder and question mark.

Now, it only restarts to the white screen (right past the sound).

Resetting pram/nvram didn't help, and trying to boot from either a DVD or USB doesn't work. When I hold option down, I get a cursor (which is moveable), but absolutely nothing else.

I tried replacing the hard drive with another one I had, and it does the exact same thing. Plus, I've never heard clicking - and it still isn't clicking.

I wanted to replace the ram, but my ram is incompatible so I can't.

Any ideas what may be causing this? My gut says it's a logic board failure, but that'd be a shame since it's only 16 months old.

Any ideas!? Thank you!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If it won't even boot from the install DVD it is most likely a logic board failure of some sort. If you have an apple store near you, I'd bring it over there, I believe the diagnosis is free.