Macbook pro update-autumn 2010 ???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ghost-florian, Apr 28, 2010.

1. ghost-florian macrumors newbie

I have recently read on a website (anandtech.com I believe) that the Macbook Pro line will be refreshed this fall, because Intel's core i5/i7 chips still need a bit of tweaking, and a heating problem needs fixing( apparently some overheat). Is this true?
    From what I can recall, Apple usually refresh the line during autumn period.

And about the Back to school deal, will they still keep it? And if they do, when will it start ?

I'm asking this because I really wanted to get a MBP core i5 as soon as possible, but a free iPod touch(or whatever) or a refresh have made me change my mind about when I'm going to actually buy it.

2. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

The "Back to School" deal should be running this year, not sure on what it will feature but I doubt they will not bother doing it just because of a new iPhone release at the WWDC.

Also, I'm a bit skeptical on the fall release of new MBPs. Apple has a lot of products to refresh still this year (look at the MR buyer's guide) and the Macbook's/iMac's generally get refreshed around that time along with most of the iPods. If I had to judge when the next release would be, I say the earliest is January 2011, and latest June/July 2011.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is no proof of update, just guessing. Apple may do it, or not. Nobody knows.

Won't be before the end of BTS though so just buy when the BTS kicks off (likely late May or early June)

4. Guiguiga macrumors regular

Guiguiga

I don't think they will update specs on MBP anytime soon. At most, they'll release software updates to try to fix the heat issue.

About BTS promotion, I'd say around June.

5. tlinford macrumors regular

tlinford

The recent refresh, very much has the feel of an interim refresh.. Sorry folks, but it does. Almost certainly wishing to pacify people 'demanding i5/i7 there are clear compromises in the design...

All new technology needs time to bed down, why not the big changes that i3i5 & i5 provide. It seems to me reasonable that there will be updates to these processors, ironing out issues.

You can test all you like, in a lab, but there is no substitute to putting things out into the real world. I know that engineering releases have offered up issues that have been addressed, but engineering releases cannot test as fully as a complete release.

So I think the question asked here is very intelligent, and although no one can see into the future .. I think it possible that an autumn update may well occur, with improved intel processors and less compromised design?

We'll see..

6. Houston macrumors regular

Apple won't update MBP in Fall. I'll bet it won't be updated until next Spring, at earliest.
    They just updated it.

7. Ash9414 macrumors 6502

That's what I said...