MacBook Pro Update, coming soon?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TJunkers, Mar 12, 2008.

1. TJunkers macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

I know they just made an update to the MacBook Pro, but I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on the rumored update in June. I really want to switch to the 17inch model, but the graphics card isn't as great as it could be, and they haven't changed the look of the laptop for 5 years now. So I am wondering if I should wait it out, or just go for it!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They haven't changed the look of the laptop because it's timeless. Also, there's nothing in the Windows world that can even attempt to compare to it aesthetically.

A recent PCMallGov magazine featured a MacBook Pro on the cover... with the Apple logo Photoshopped out, of course.

3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Honestly? I don't think there's gonna be any changes to the current line. Apple's not gonna spend money on reconfiguring their logic board for the new chip, just to resign the entire machine a few months later.

It really doesn't make any sense.:confused:

4. TJunkers thread starter macrumors 6502a

TJunkers

See this is why I post here! Best and quickest advice! thanks! As for the look I'm not saying it's ugly, far from it. there is a reason I want it so bad hahah. Just figured, Steve being Steve... who knows. But I agree with the time, he just upgraded whats in it and added multi touch. I can't see them updating it any time soon either.

5. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

Its possible that an update will be coming in June with a new chipset. I doubt a redesign is coming with it. However, summer is when they sell a lot of laptops for kids going to college and with the WWDC coming in June it would be a prime time to do a redesign. Plus they usually have the iPod deal with the purchase of a new computer. If you can wait a few months (think of it as 90 days:p) it may be worth your while.

I won't hold your breath on a substantial graphics card upgrade. Apple tends to go with middling to low end graphic cards for their laptop lines. :rolleyes:

There you go... did that muddy the waters at all for you?

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

If Intel's Montevina platform is ready at the beginning of June as scheduled, and given Apple's usual lag in implementing updates, I'd say the end of August at the earliest. I'm more inclined to believe Apple will hold off until after the back-to-school rush and update around October. That'll make it at least seven months since the current update, thus keeping with their average timeline. Then another seven-ish months until mainstream Nehalem procs are ready (quad-core mobile).

Keep in mine, this is just my own speculation based on Intel's timeline.