MacBook Pro update cycle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danslatts, Nov 6, 2007.

1. danslatts macrumors newbie

Ok, so I am relatively new to the :apple: scene (so new that I don't know what usually happens before/during an upgrade)

My question is, when a new version of the MacBook Pro comes out do they retain the previous generations price? or do they usually go up in price?

Also, is there normally a price-cut on the current generation prior to a new release?

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The price point for new models remains mostly constant. The few times the price point has changed has been because a brand new model has come out (ie, iBook>>>macbook) or because a drastic redesign has occurred. If you were to buy a new SR macbook today, and tomorrow it got updated again (not going to happen btw), then the price would remain the same for the new macbook.

You can buy the previous version for less via the refurbished store. Be warned however that you might get a machine that was never opened, or one that had to be fixed up before it could be sold. It really is a coin toss. Other retailers might also try to clear older stock by putting them on sale, so this really depends on how aggressive you are at finding such deals.

Lastly, the macbooks and macbook pros have had their updates for the year. The next update you'll see for the macbook pro will probably be in January or February (likely a little later) and the macbook will probably see an update after April or May. Thus, if you're looking to buy, now is a great time.

3. danslatts thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for such a prompt reply and the helpful information.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

No problem. Out of curiosity, what are you looking to get? What do you need the computer to do for you?

5. danslatts thread starter macrumors newbie

If I was to get one today it would be the 2.2 MacBook Pro with a 200g 7200 HD and 4gig RAM (not from Apple). I cant justify the extra money for the 2.4

I will be using it for 3d gaming, movie editing, coding, etc.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yeah the 2.2 is a much better deal compared to the 2.4. Do you need it soon? If you do, then I suggest Black Friday. Apple has been known to give an extra $100 off or other freebies (cases, etc). Apparently the deals are available online as well (you'd have to check up on this yourself before Thanksgiving though).

However, if you need it before Thanksgiving, then just jump on it. No sense in being unproductive now.

7. wd40 macrumors newbie

So buy a mac book pro now is what you are saying?? I literally just canceled my order this morning due to macrumors suggestion to: "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle." The thing is, I kinda need it bad.

January is a pretty long time to wait - but if the update is expected to be 'major' perhaps I should...

I just don't know =/

Could really use some candid advice here. $3k is nothing to sniff at

8. danslatts thread starter macrumors newbie

I need it before University goes back in February, but my PC keeps crashing and I have to do repairs to it almost daily.

I am in Australia so the only discount I get is the $300AUD education discount.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The only reason I don't see a mbp update this year is because of the faux update the mbps saw last week. The top end models can have higher end CPUs now, which is basically all Apple can do (Intel doesn't have any better chips, and there isn't any impending computer revolution about to happen). Even if the mbps saw another update this year (chances are almost nill), they would still have an SR chip with virtually the same limitations. You really wouldn't gain anything by waiting. The reason the Buyer's Guide says "don't buy" is because most of the line-up hasn't really changed. But keep in mind that it is simply a numerical average which determines the "don't buy" and "buy" status.
    If you need it in February, then I think you can hold off until after MacWorld 2008. You might see a new mbp (or possibly the perpetually rumored "sub-notebook") at that time. However, even if it does come out then, you may not have it shipped to you until after February begins, which would put you in a real tight spot. Nonetheless, if you need a new machine now, there's no sense in holding on for three months for an update which only *may* happen.

10. wd40 macrumors newbie

So basically, I should just go ahead and re-buy the darn thing ;)

To be perfectly honest, hardware updates don't bother me all that much - that stuff changes all the time. But an aesthetic-re-design update certainly would.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I wouldn't bank on a complete redesign like that. The mbp is still a very sleek machine. If anything, we might see a small notebook at MacWorld. I think the odds of a complete redesign are quite low.