MacBook Pro Update Speculations

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacOCD, Sep 10, 2010.

1. MacOCD macrumors regular

Does any one have any guesses to the changes that will happen when the MBP line is updated? And if you can, try to keep to conservative.

2. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure he knows how to google. I think he was just creating a round table discussion on the hopes of an Apple refresh.

As for my hopes:
    1. Blu-Ray. COME ON STEVE! Get with the frickin program. It's not gonna hurt iTunes movies sales THAT badly.
    2. Game-centric video card. Apple always has mediocre video card options IMO. I'd appreciate it if I pay $2500 for a laptop, to have a decent game-centric video card. I know this will affect battery life, but with Optimus technology, I can give up 2 hours of my 6 hours battery life for increased graphics performance.
    3. More space to put a second hard drive OR allow users to remove optical drive for a second hard drive without voiding warranty OR allow a build to order option that allows for optical drive to be replaced with a second hard drive by Apple.
    4. Expand memory to 12-16GB. I mean come on- who doesn't need more memory;)
    5. Light peak/USB 3.0 AND more space between USB sockets.

Notice I did not say HDMI out. HMDI is vastly inferior to the mini display port. Many people complain that a mini DP adaptor costs too much. These people are either computer illiterate, impatient, or lazy, because you can go on Amazon and pick up a mini DP to HDMI adapter for $5 that works like a charm. I'm actually using it with the 2010 MBP you see in my sig with a 32" LG monitor and it works flawlessly with both video AND audio (the 2010 models added the ability to bring audio thru HMDI).

Those were my hopes. As for my predictions,
    1. Doubtful. Steve is stubborn and I'm tired of hoping. I'll just be happy when he adopts it.
    2. Doubtful. read #1's reason.
    3. Doubtful. read #1 & #2's reason.
    4. Possible but only through OS updates.
    5. Doubtful. Steve gave up on FW 3200 bc I believe Intel and Apple decided to make Light peak, which I don't think is ready. And Intel doesn't seem like it wants to play with USB 3.0 since prototype Light Peak tech has already greatly surpassed it.

As you can see, I don't think ANY of the tech I'd like to see, which are very reasonable, will make the new refresh.

What I AM sure of is that Apple will continue to make "The fastest Mac we've ever created" without having really created a new product.

.... I also predict that I'll still buy it;)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The point of using MRoogle, not Google, as I illustrated in that link to search results, is to find the dozens of existing "round table discussions on the hopes of an Apple refresh" in this forum. This topic is being discussed already in many, many threads, which the OP can read and post in, rather than starting another redundant thread.

4. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Sorry bout that. My mistake.