Macbook Pro Updates Same as iPhone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fibrizo, Oct 24, 2011.

1. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I was just thinking when I saw the macbook pro updates this AM... That they could have put Siri into the new models and called them the Macbook pro 13S, 15S 17S lol... Basically no redesign, minor CPU and GPU changes, and more storage. When I think about it, we sure do complain alot more about our phones, as the spec bump without significant doesn't seem to phase the laptop users as much, and lead to such uproar.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What kind of revolutionary design changes would you like to see in a laptop? There really haven't been any technological breakthroughs that would lead to drastic changes.

3. fibrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I think you misunderstood me. I'm just commenting on how if our laptops have minor changes, we don't respond with an uproar like we do our phones. As for changes I would have liked to see, they certainly could have added USB 3.0 (even without ivy-bridge) Obviously we are all waiting for a revolutionary design change with the unibody models for next year, ie case design or ergonomics. If they really wanted to mack some changes that would make more performance difference, they certainly could have A. included USB 3.0, B. Included a tiny SSD macbook air style stick (maybe 16 GB) that worked as a HD cache, as they still ship with alot of spinning discs, And do what the Z68 chipset does.

Anyways that's off the point. I think we whine alot about our phones :)

4. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

this was just a minor spec bump, expect a complete overhaul of the MacBooks next year with ivy bridge

5. MVRL, Oct 24, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

no offense, WTF are you smoking....

iphone 4 to 4S is a huge leap, it's not a minor change at all......

single core A4 vs dual core A5, look up the benchmark, they are simply worlds apart

then, there's the camera that's pretty much the best out of all current phones.

seriously..stop looking at the outside and expect shiny worthless things, look at the inside, look at the functionality...........ffs

and 2, follow the industry news..

if there's no newer things to be released, what can Apple possibly put in there? duh??!

next gen Ivy Bridge isn't even out yet, and there's only this minor spec bump from intel, what do you think Apple can possibly do?

Build their own CPU and mass produce it in 2 months? Common sense calls..

it's people like you who give others the re-tarded impression that Apple users are re-tards who only care about what's on the outside instead of what's under the hood...sigh

6. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Here's the thing OP, they can't be compared like that. Computers are completely different than phones or tablets. The effects of upgrades on each are not the same, and each have different uses.

7. fibrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I think you're misunderstanding me. I have a 4S and I think it's great. I know what the difference between laptops and phones are. I know the changes. I was merely bringing up how many people were so upset a the mostly internal/spec bump changes in the 4S, but that wont happen with this bump.

double sigh... obviously this seems to have offended you that I think it's funny that people react badly to spec upgrades.

point B also is that you do not have to build a cpu and mass produce it to add USB 3.0 support.

I actually do care about the user experience... which is why I have a 2011 MBA and a 2011 MBP... will I upgrade my mbp with this spec bump? No because the experience is just fine.

And if you do believe for a second that there are not people who buy macs who chose things by shiny new exteriors... I have a bridge to sell you :)

In understand that the text doesnt convey sarcasm as well, but I meant this as a jest because people are so obsessed with numbers, new outsides etc etc.

8. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

To be fair, iPhone users had to wait 16 months this time for their update, while we (MacBook Pro owners) get two updates a year. So our wait isn't as long between refreshes. But also, as people have said; computer breakthroughs don't come as often now as they do for smartphones. The next big thing will be Ivy Bridge processors which won't be due until next year.

9. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

rofl, did you really just defend your original post then at the end of it call it sarcasm..

i seriously have no idea wtf you are smoking..

anyway, this won't get anywhere

peace

10. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

well, the OP was clearly misunderstood and also ended up offending people. Well i think what he meant was that the iPhone got a spec bump with the 4S and the MBP also got a spec bump but people seem to be angry about the 4S not being a complete revamp and are not complaining about the MBP.
    Well heres what i think, first, it had been a long time since the lsat iPhone update and whereas the newer vastly improved MBPs came out only earlier this year. on top of that, i believe the main reason of disappointment over the 4S were the rumors of the iPhone 5, people were expecting a larger screen, different design etc etc...

11. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Users on this forum are so up in arms.

OP meant no harm by his post, it was just a joke (not a very funny one, but a joke nonetheless) ... But Apple fanatics have long lost their sense of humor, any post that doesn't praise their respective products is seen as a threat to their livelihood so they proceed to call people trolls and "thumbs down" their posts.

It's pretty sad actually.

12. Maschil macrumors 6502a

Maschil

THey have become too defensive...... android is exceeding iOS muahaaaaa "prepares for thumbs down"