macbook pro upgrade harddrive help? please?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JackSpearo, Jun 6, 2010.

1. JackSpearo macrumors regular

My macbook pro has a 120 GB hd... and it's pretty full

mostly pics and vids from international travel...

I'd like to upgrade the HD... is this something I can do? or a computer store can do for me?

can they save all my info on the old HD and put it on a bigger HD when they upgrade it?

what are my best options? getting a new HD or a external HD? (only prob with that is I love to access my pics/vids regularly)

thanks!

Jack

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

www.ifixit.com has guides on how to exchange the HDD yourself (example) and you can evaluate if you feel up to it.
    To get your data from the old to the new HDD, use a USB enclosure for 2.5" HDD and a clone application like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

If you use MRoogle, you will find plenty of similar threads.

[​IMG]

As an answer to your PM:

The price depends on your area, but I would think about 100€ or so, maybe less, if the technician is fast. But make sure to get an Apple Authorized Repairshop, maybe you can find some via the Apple Contact site or Apple Retail page. HDDs can be bought almost anywhere nowadays, maybe have a look at www.macsales.com or Newegg.

3. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

hey man!

thanks so much!

do you know if a computer shop would do this for me? and if so, how much you think they'd charge for something like this?

do you know where I can buy macbook pro harddrives?

thanks sooo much again! I'm very very happy!

4. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

5. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

what is the cream of the crop hard drive right now?

I'd like one that is ultra quiet and is very very nice...

I searched the forum, but I'd like the most up to date information... thanks!

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

x_x
    There's a lot of threads about this :p
    Upgrading is as easy as taking out the screws and bottom case. :]

7. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

what's your opinion on the best of the best hard drive elpmas?

;-)?

also, can you please pretty please recommend a RAM to buy

I have 2 gb... I'd like to upgrade to 4 gb... that's a big difference for a 2.2 macbook pro right?

thanks again

8. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Actually, no, he has a classic MBP, and upgrading the hard drive on those is a little more tricky than with unibodies.

OP - if you're a little tech savvy and don't mind taking apart your MBP a little, you can definitely do it yourself. You just need to be careful, remember to remove all the screws, and keep them organized.

The ifixit guide will help if you decide to do it. If not, an authorized repair shop shouldn't charge too much for this procedure. If you know what you're doing, it's fairly quick.

All they'd need to do is clone your new drive to your old one, and pop the new one in.

How much are you looking to spend on your new hard drive? Capacity? That will help people give you recommendations.

Good luck.

9. JackSpearo thread starter macrumors regular

hey I'm going to call today and ask about how much it costs for an authorized repair center to upgrade the hard drive for me...

I'd like to spend under $250 for a new hard drive...

thanks!