MacBook Pro: upgrade or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mmnyc, Jun 5, 2008.

  1. mmnyc macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    #1
    Hey, need some input on a buying decision.

    Currently driving a 1.25ghz g4 PowerBook that is starting to give up the ghost, optical drive is shot, and a usb port crapped out this week. soo...

    Do i buy a new MacBook Pro now, or wait for the next revision and perhaps spend the $400 to depot the current PowerBook to get me through?

    Opinions welcome. Thanks!
     
  2. nanvinnie macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2007
  3. Super Intendo macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 26, 2008
    #3
    Like a thicker macbook air! ;)

    Well, I'm going to be upgrading my current macbook to a macbook pro ASAP... but while i originally planned to wait till WWDC and then buy, the age of the mbp's case is becoming more and more apparent to me. I'm really considering waiting longer because the likelihood of an announcement at WWDC is seeming less likely than it did at one point. :rolleyes:
     
  4. catfish743 macrumors 6502

    catfish743

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    Location:
    Kentucky
    #4
    get the pro now....I find that it's hardly worth the wait unless you know the revision is coming out soon.
     
  5. mmnyc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    #5
    Well, i had hoped for a WWDC announcement, but i think it is unlikely at this point, what with the chip delays from intel (soft rollout is supposed to be july). however, it is expected in q3 08, perhaps at a special event or by september. hence my dilemma. Try to squeak out a few more months, or upgrade now and know that when i am ready to buy again there will be something grand to get at that time too.

    the only hesitancy I have is because the current case designs are so old and the updates have pretty much been slight bumps of late that I am kind of expecting something pretty big on the next rev to the line.
     
  6. jmerk macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2003
    Location:
    Minneapolis
    #6
    mbp or wait?

    i have the exact same dilemma although i am dealing with a 12" PB, 867 mhz, etc.

    Loooong in the tooth.

    From all accounts the next upgrade will be significant so I'm not sure why people are telling you to buy now. You can get a USB hub for super cheap which solves on of your problems. Unless you have money to burn, why not be a bit more patient?

    I wanted an upgrade at WWDC and I'm still holding out hope. If one is being optimistic, then the hope is that the 3G iPhone stuff is just overshadowing it and that they will ALSO announce a new MBP. If not, I'll limp along with my PeeCee for school and the 12" until selling them both in the Fall when the new MBP happens.

    Cheers,
    j
     
  7. catfish743 macrumors 6502

    catfish743

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    Location:
    Kentucky
    #7
    Sorry a misread on my part. I thought we were talking about the Mac Pro. For the MBP I would consider waiting since as you said the case has not been revised in a while. Apple rarely sticks with one design for too long.
     
  8. Tibs066 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2005
    Location:
    Indiana
    #8
    powerbook

    I have a first generation 17" powerbook that has seen better days but i think that i will wait till they announce a new one so i can get a 17 MBP at a significantly lower price.
     

Share This Page