Macbook pro upgraded to 8GB still lagging??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stark4, Feb 22, 2011.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

I have late 08 2.4gb macbook pro. i like to put it on sleep mode whenever i'm not using the mac. I used to have 2GB ram and i have to restart my computer every 2 weeks because they system started lagging. I just upgraded to 8GB last month and my system started lagging again. i checked the system up time in terminal and it said 11 days. specially my Firefox is lagging and it's not smooth to scroll down anymore. Is it normal even with the 8GB?

Thanks

2. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

It is unfortunately very normal for Firefox to lag out after leaving it open for extended periods of time. Always been a issue with Firefox.

3. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I second what beaverman said. Firefox has started to get worse and worse. I switched to Safari about a year ago and haven't looked back. It just works better. The other thing you should check out is your hard drive space. What is your total capacity and how much is used? That can be another factor in a slow computer.

4. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

I installed 8GB and found my computer was still lagging. I just got done doing a clean reinstall, transferring my Applications using Migration Assistant, then my Files using Time Machine. It's running way, way faster now and I'd recommend this.

5. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Yes, firefox sometimes have little hiccups but if you really want to go all out like pick up a SSD and that should do away with those issues.

6. legreve macrumors regular

legreve

A tip... turn it off instead when not using it. I don't know how, but it will wear on it just putting it on sleep.
    My work iMac has gotten so tired that I can actually rely on it to be slow after 2-3pm each day. Turning it off or rebooting it brings it back up to speed. Sad, but I guess that's the price of mechanics.