MacBook Pro Upgrades and Warrenties

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prnoct90, Jul 22, 2011.

1. prnoct90 macrumors regular

I am considering getting the baseline 13" Macbook pro with standard configurations and then doings some upgrades myself.

1. Upgrade to 8GB of RAM
    2. Replace the HD with a 256GB SSD
    3. Replace the CD Drive with the 320GB HD that came with the laptop

My questions are one, will one or all of these void my warrenty; and two, does it make logical sense to use the 256GB HD as my main HD and just use the 320GB as my time Machine drive? I really only need 256GB and I dont need a cd drive. This way I wouldn't have to worry to remember to plug a drive in for backups

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

#3 will for sure.

#2 might.

#1 wont

Ive done all 3 though lol. 128GB SSD and 750GB HDD in Optibay, then 8GB 1600MHz ram.

3. prnoct90 thread starter macrumors regular

i always by an extended warranty, but i guess there wouldnt be any point then

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Nos. 1 and 2 will not; #3 will.

If 320 GB is enough space, then certainly it makes sense to use as a backup drive.

5. prnoct90 thread starter macrumors regular

but does putting it inside the computer like that seem like a good idea? or not worth it?

6. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

It's a great idea - I did exactly that to mine. If you ever need any warranty work done, just switch it back - problem solved.

7. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

really? just wondering because I also bought the extended warranty, but was also planning on putting the HDD in the optibay

8. dww macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

I dont see how they would know you'd done anything if you switch it back to the optical drive before sending it in, so it should be fine

9. satchow macrumors 6502

I had the same setup, and I just replaced all the optical drive and left the SSD in, and they still covered all warranty repairs.

10. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

#2 Will. Talked to Apple Genius who is a good friend of mine and he said it voids the warranty if it is not an original Apple hard drive. It is kind of weird because he said the manual that comes with the laptop shows how to replace the hard drive.

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

Tell your friend he's talking out of his ass and should stop spewing misinformation.

RAM and Hard Drives are user replaceable parts as per official Apple policy, in fact they even tell you how to do it in the manual, and you are also protected from getting your warranty voided by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

12. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Maybe his boss told him to say this. No clue. Also, the last sentence of my post says he thought it was weird too.

13. jesterscourt macrumors regular

Just +1'ing those that said everything but the optibay will be okay with your warranty, provided you don't break anything in the process.

14. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure Apple would love everyone to think that if you don't clean your laptop with MacClean(not real) you lose AppleCare coverage; let alone replace something internal with *gasp* a "non-Apple" part, in quotes because it's not like Apple makes drives or memory. RAM and the hard drive are user replaceable, change them to your hearts content with whatever brand you so desire.