Macbook pro USB 2.0 works as 1.0. Slooooow!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petan, May 10, 2009.

1. petan macrumors newbie

Hello,

I own a Macbook Pro. Everything worked fine until the other day when my external HD USB started going too slow, as if it suddenly were USB 1.0. I tried it in another computer and it works fine. Also I connected to my computer another USB 2.0 device (a flash drive) and same problem, therefore its clear that the problem is the macbook and not the device.

No other devices connected at the same time. No HUBs. Is it possible that both USB 2.0 ports could be ruined at the same time and stop working as fast as they should? Is this something I can fix with, lets say a firmware update or something like that?

Of course I could stop using the USB ports and connect all my external drives to the firewire ports, but that is not the point, especially when they've been working just fine until now.

Thanks!

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

it could be many things. The worst of all could be what happened to me;

I used to have a problem with one of the USB ports in my black macbook. I was not able to power some of my external devices (e.g. the old ipod etc) so i hypothesized that this could be because the macbook is new and the devices i was not able to power were old (stupid me). Anyway ... few months after the minidvi failed. went to repair centre..guess what? damaged logicboard. Luckily i have the applecare. They replaced it ---= USB working and powering new and old devices!

So after you do all the reset and repair things that are mentioned in this website. If they do not work, think about your logicoard.

4. petan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your help, I'll try resetting the PRam. I assume im not taking any risks doing this... in terms of loosing data or account preferences?

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

nope