MacBook Pro USB-C Charging question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aevan, Nov 30, 2016.

1. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Ok, so I saw this video online where a guy hooked up 4 chargers to his MBP and damaged it. I was under the impression that if you attached more power sources to it, it would selectively use just one - but now I'm worried it may get damaged.

Now, obviously I don't plan on attaching several chargers to my MBP, but there are certain devices that may supply power to it. For example, I plan on getting the new Cintiq Pro which is basically a screen that has its own power supply (that also connects via USB-C) and connects to the MBP via the USB-C cable. Or, similarly, if you have an USB-C monitor, like the new LGs, that also charges the MBP, but you connect it while the MBP is already charging via its own charger - that's, basically, two chargers connected to the MBP at the same time.

Any cause for concern?

2. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Considering that Apple personally addresses this issue, I think it shouldn't be an issue. Else, they won't be selling you the concept of hooking up dual 5k monitors to your 15" MBP when both would be charging it.

3. MrHopsing macrumors newbie

I think I know what video you are referring to and I believe the power strip he's using is causing the problem here. If you look at it throughout the video the on/off switch is flickering, and the whole power strip itself just looks really old.

4. aevan, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2016

aevan thread starter macrumors 68000

aevan

Yeah, it's this one

And yeah, could be the power strip. I can see it flickering. I kinda expect it to be smart enough to draw power just from one charger.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2016 ---
    Good point. Still, I'm more worried about non-Apple products, like the new Wacom Cintiq Pro.

But I guess it's alright.