MacBook Pro USB-C issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Madd the Sane, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

I recently replaced my 2015 MacBook with a 2017 MacBook Pro and it seems to have inherited the problem from my old MacBook: the USB-C multiport adaptor from Apple isn't working correctly: it's only passing through power.
    That's not the only issue.
    I got an Anker Premium USB-C mini dock, and power is not being passed through (but USB is working). Neither devices seem to output HDMI: when attached to a TV, it says the Anker isn't outputting a signal, while with the Apple adaptor it just says that the cable isn't attached to anything.

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Same on all ports? Power wise is yours a 13" or 15", and is the adapter rated to pass power to either model? If you have an adapter for a MacBook, chances are it was rated to pass 30w of power, which isn't enough for the MBP models.

3. Madd the Sane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

Sorry, MacBook Pro 13" non-touch-bar. I sent the power adaptor that came with the original MacBook back to be recycled (I thought I damaged the computer, don't know if I really did or not), so I'm using the MacBook Pro's power adaptor.

Edit: and yes, it's the same on all two ports, in both orientations.

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

So you're using the charger that came with the computer, and it's not charging the laptop? As I said if you're trying to use the hub, check if it can pass through enough power and that it's rated for 61w. If it's a cheaper adapter you brought for the MacBook it's probably only 30w.

5. Madd the Sane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

It is charging the laptop if plugged directly into the laptop or the AV Multiport adaptor, but it won't charge if plugged into the Anker.

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Is it this thing? https://www.anker.com/products/A8361042

Weirdly they don't state the wattage, but a reviewer on Amazon says it only does 51w, so it won't charge your device when powered.

With this one? https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K2AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter

Check your HDMI cable, and if you have another TV/Monitor you can check it with. Side note though, just grab a USB-C to HDMI cable, it's a lot less hassle than these adapters which appear very hit or miss at the USB-C side (Cheap), the more expensive Thunderbolt 3 one's seem better.

7. Madd the Sane thread starter macrumors 6502a

Madd the Sane

Yes, those are both of the items that I'm having issues with. I did try the Anker with a 1050p monitor and it didn't detect anything. Also, the Apple device isn't showing up in System Information under USB .

I think it might be a software issue, but I can't figure out what it could be.

8. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

The devices won't show up in System Information. It's a hub, so plugged in it's just acting as a pass through. Once connected to something it'll emulate that port and show there.

The best thing to do is try a different cable, try a different TV, and ideally try a different computer. That's the only way you're going to problem solve it down to find the cause. It's unlikely to be software but if you pop it into another Mac and it doesn't have the issue then it would head into the software/hardware territory.

9. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
  10. whg macrumors regular

whg

Why did Apple jump to this bleeding edge without leaving us some of the old connectors (MagSafe, USBA, HDMI, SD-Card)? I hate Dongles (sorry, adaptors), but if those don't even work reliably, this looks like a very big mess to me.

11. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Except they do work... If you buy the right one. It's more marketing that needs to be sorted out, the ports on the MacBook are Thunderbolt 3, which is capable of a lot more than USB-C. However USB-C and TB3 share the same connector, so a lot of people are buying super cheap USB-C things expecting to have the ability of TB3.

It was simpler when a TB2 accessory cost say $200 and a USB-A cost $20.

Either way if you buy the right cable, it generally works fine. USB-C to HDMI works great for me, just as it did on my old laptop when I had TB2 to HDMI. Or on my computer when I had HDMI to DVI. Adapters aren't anything new... It's just not if I don't need that HDMI port I can have a HDD plugged in instead, couldn't do that before.