Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfanMAW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Hi all,

I just got anew MBP 13" (no touch bar) and I'm trying to hook it up to my external monitor. I have an old (really old) apple display like this that connects via DVI. I purchased Apple's USB-C > VGA/USB/USB-C adaptor and then got a VGA to DVI connector off of amazon to daisy chain the display to it. However, it doesn't seem to be working. The weird thing is that the MBP is detecting the display because it shows it in the arrange windows portion of the system presences, but it's not showing anything on it.

I tried connecting it to another external monitor via DVI and got the same issue. Is there any reason this shouldn't be working?

Thanks!

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
What are the specifics of the adapters you are using? You can't convert VGA to DVI by simply adapting the connectors. Some video cards are compatible with these adapters because they do the conversion internally when the adapter is connected.

The easiest thing would be a USB-C to DVI adapter.

kTran33

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2017
Hi all,

I just got anew MBP 13" (no touch bar) and I'm trying to hook it up to my external monitor. I have an old (really old) apple display like this that connects via DVI. I purchased Apple's USB-C > VGA/USB/USB-C adaptor and then got a VGA to DVI connector off of amazon to daisy chain the display to it. However, it doesn't seem to be working. The weird thing is that the MBP is detecting the display because it shows it in the arrange windows portion of the system presences, but it's not showing anything on it.

I tried connecting it to another external monitor via DVI and got the same issue. Is there any reason this shouldn't be working?

Thanks!

Are you sure your DVI cable and monitor port can handle the analogic signal ? It needs to be DVI-I or DVI-A.
wikipedia : The analog pins are the four that surround the flat blade on a DVI-I or DVI-A connector.

sportsfanMAW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Are you sure your DVI cable and monitor port can handle the analogic signal ? It needs to be DVI-I or DVI-A.
wikipedia : The analog pins are the four that surround the flat blade on a DVI-I or DVI-A connector.

Interesting. So perhaps I need this adaptor instead?

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro

Are there any monitors that take the analog signal from a DVI-A? OP's problem is going the wrong direction, I think. A DVI source that also provides the analog could be adapted, but not the other way.

OP, that adapter can't convert analog VGA to Digital DVI so your best bet is probably to go from USB-C to DVI unless someone has a better suggestion.

kTran33

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2017
There are monitors taking DVI-A but not a lot I guess.
OP : I tested a usb-c to DVI adapter without success (from ICZI), no max resolution and some flickering issues, but it seems to be working for some other people, give it a try ? Or maybe try a usb-c to DVI cable instead of an adapter ?

kTran33

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2017
Interesting. So perhaps I need this adaptor instead?

You have to be sure your cable is also compatible and that your monitor has indeed the DVI-A or DVI-D connector (check for the little holes around the flat blade). If all is set to transmit the analog signal, it shoud be fine.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Seems like you are taking the long way to get a digital signal from you computer to your monitor. You are going digital->analog->digital. Each transformation increases the possibility of timing and signal errors. Why not get a USB-C to DVI connector? Then it is digital all the way

sportsfanMAW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
Ok so I order a USB-C to DVI connector but there's an issue. My desktop shows up on the monitor but it flickers the entire time and it makes everything stutter on the actual MacBook display.

So I went out and bout a USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 adaptor and plugged in my DVI > Minidisplay port adaptor (that I was using on my MacBook Pro before the current one) and I don't get any signal coming through. Can anyone help me with this? I'm at a loss and really can't afford a whole new monitor

sportsfanMAW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
In case anyone comes back with the same issue, here's how I solved it. I bought a USB C -> HDMI dongle and then got an HDMI > DVI adaptor. Talk about a hassle but it all works fine now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.