MacBook Pro USB Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pd2h, Nov 9, 2011.

1. pd2h macrumors newbie

Good morning all,

I have a Macbook Pro 15' i5 from early this year, I have just started to have some annoying usb issues, I have a non powered usb hard drive where I store all my music, this is no longer recognised by the mac, oddly my powered hard drives are fine and work as they should, also all my usb powered midi devices still work just fine its jsut the hard drive. Initially i thought it was the hard drive at fault so bought a new one but this had the same issue, checked both drives on a Windows machine and they both work just fine.

After a bit of searching I have tried a SMC and PRAM resets but to no avail... not sure what to try now, anyone any ideas...

Cheers

Phil

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If the usb port is not working for all devices and those devices are working in other computers then its probably the port.

If you have another port, get a usb hub as a work around. My suggestion though is to contact apple as the port may be malfunctioning.

3. pd2h thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, it is happening on both the usb ports, the back one it seems to power the drive you can feel it running, the front one does not seem to power the drive at all...

Will take it in for diagnostics see what they have to say... worried it maybe a logic board failure could be expensive :(

4. simsaladimbamba

As you have an MBP fron 2011, you still have warrant, thus amy repair of any manufacturing defect is covered and will not cost you anything.

5. Timmet macrumors newbie

I have had the same problem. I think i might have something to do with the formatting of the the hard drive. When i format it first on my Macbook Pro(2007) the drive is easy recognizable on my MBP but when it has been formatted on a windows pc the hard drive gives me a hard time in Mac OSX.(Not working and/or not recognizable) Try programs like: MacFuse and Tuxera NTFS. Maybe that solves your problem?

6. pd2h thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty sure that i snot the issue, it seemed to happen overnight and I never changed the format of the drive...

----------

Indeed if I could only find the recipt :confused:

7. Ramasjang macrumors member

I think it's only the front USB that has power to drive a external hard-drive without power.

8. simsaladimbamba

No need, as the Mac is leas than a year old, since it has been released in 2011, and since the warranty belongs to the Mac and not the owner.