MacBook Pro USB Overcurrent Error

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zach, May 31, 2010.

1. zach macrumors 65816

zach

hi guys. running a non-unibody MBP, 2.4 Core 2 Duo. as of a few days ago, beginning to get pretty constant errors telling me a USB device is drawing too much power and has been disabled( as described in this thread) despite no USB devices being plugged in.

the console message corresponding is as follows:

5/31/10 8:44:16 PM kernel USB Notification: The device "EHCI Root Hub Simulation" @ 0xfd000000 has caused an overcurrent condition. The hub it is attached to has been disabled

i've reset the SMU, NVRAM and PRAM looking to fix this. my best guess from looking at what i can find on the internet is that a USB controller chip is fried, but i'd rather not lay out 400+ for a logic board repair if it's something more simple.

in the interest of full disclosure, i spilled a small amount of liquid on my keyboard approx. 6 months ago, with no symptoms until about 3 days ago. as the keyboard's on the USB bus i figured this MIGHT be related, but the keyboard still works perfectly. so does the iSight, bluetooth, and both USB ports. any input would be appreciated!

edit: my sense is that it also appears to happen more often when the computer is hotter. this is totally unscientific though.

2. Autopulated macrumors newbie

Same Issue

I appear to have the same problem: recurring over-current errors about 0xfd000000 (which is the isight USB hub according to IORegistryExplorer), but isight still works just fine, as do USB ports.

My error also seems to be temperature correlated.

I'd be happy to suppress the symptom, if the error isn't symptomatic of something more serious about to go wrong?

MBP 3,1 (2.4GHz C2D)

3. Autopulated macrumors newbie

How to disable the notification

Code:
    sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.UserNotificationCenter.plist