Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dylarmstrong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro and I've tried everything to my knowledge to get this laptop working again. It was running el captain for awhile and it started to be slower than normal so I decided to wipe it clean and make a bootable USB but here's the thing the bootable USB will not boot no matter what! 1st I tried mountain lion it got half way and just failed every time. Now I downloaded mavericks to boot from USB and it just shows a circle with a line through it. So any help would be awesome

I'm using windows with trams mac to do this I've followed this guide http://pureinfotech.com/make-bootable-usb-mac-os-x-windows/

And I've even done it without CMD

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Something must be wrong with that bootable USB.

Either source a Mac to create one or boot from Internet Recovery on your machine. Cmd + Alt + R on boot.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
When you power up your Mac, make sure you hold down the Alt/Option key and select your USB pen drive from the list (make sure the Alt key is continuously held down before you hear the start-up chime and until the boot menu appears). Even if you've completely wiped your hard drive with Disk Utility, you should still be able to boot into a pen drive or start Internet Recovery, to reinstall the operating system.

dylarmstrong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2016
Something must be wrong with that bootable USB.

Either source a Mac to create one or boot from Internet Recovery on your machine. Cmd + Alt + R on boot.

I've tried this twice now and I get to the installing part but it freezes on the bar and it just says 25 hours remaining and it just sits there and doesn't do anything the bar doesn't fill it just sits at the same spot I let it sit since you posted this til now. and the USB drive It keeps showing the circle with the line through it and I've tried it with two usb sticks. I don't know what's happening this is super difficult and annoying.

Last edited:

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I've tried this twice now and I get to the installing part but it freezes on the bar and it just says 25 hours remaining and it just sits there and doesn't do anything the bar doesn't fill it just sits at the same spot I let it sit since you posted this til now. and the USB drive It keeps showing the circle with the line through it and I've tried it with two usb sticks. I don't know what's happening this is super difficult and annoying.
- Go on wired Ethernet instead of wireless if you aren't already.

Also reset NVRAM and SMC.

Arnab2121

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2017
I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro and I've tried everything to my knowledge to get this laptop working again. It was running el captain for awhile and it started to be slower than normal so I decided to wipe it clean and make a bootable USB but here's the thing the bootable USB will not boot no matter what! 1st I tried mountain lion it got half way and just failed every time. Now I downloaded mavericks to boot from USB and it just shows a circle with a line through it. So any help would be awesome

I'm using windows with trams mac to do this I've followed this guide http://pureinfotech.com/make-bootable-usb-mac-os-x-windows/

And I've even done it without CMD

Can you get your hands on a Linux machine?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.