MacBook Pro USB won't boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dylarmstrong, Oct 9, 2016.

1. dylarmstrong macrumors newbie

dylarmstrong

I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro and I've tried everything to my knowledge to get this laptop working again. It was running el captain for awhile and it started to be slower than normal so I decided to wipe it clean and make a bootable USB but here's the thing the bootable USB will not boot no matter what! 1st I tried mountain lion it got half way and just failed every time. Now I downloaded mavericks to boot from USB and it just shows a circle with a line through it. So any help would be awesome

I'm using windows with trams mac to do this I've followed this guide http://pureinfotech.com/make-bootable-usb-mac-os-x-windows/

And I've even done it without CMD

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Something must be wrong with that bootable USB.

Either source a Mac to create one or boot from Internet Recovery on your machine. Cmd + Alt + R on boot.

3. bbnck macrumors 6502

When you power up your Mac, make sure you hold down the Alt/Option key and select your USB pen drive from the list (make sure the Alt key is continuously held down before you hear the start-up chime and until the boot menu appears). Even if you've completely wiped your hard drive with Disk Utility, you should still be able to boot into a pen drive or start Internet Recovery, to reinstall the operating system.

4. dylarmstrong, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016

dylarmstrong thread starter macrumors newbie

dylarmstrong

I've tried this twice now and I get to the installing part but it freezes on the bar and it just says 25 hours remaining and it just sits there and doesn't do anything the bar doesn't fill it just sits at the same spot I let it sit since you posted this til now. and the USB drive It keeps showing the circle with the line through it and I've tried it with two usb sticks. I don't know what's happening this is super difficult and annoying.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Go on wired Ethernet instead of wireless if you aren't already.

Also reset NVRAM and SMC.

6. Arnab2121, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017

Arnab2121 macrumors newbie

Can you get your hands on a Linux machine?