MacBook Pro USB Won't Work, but the others do.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Choppa, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Choppa macrumors newbie

Just wanted to see if I have any alternatives left before heading to the macshop to fix my USB issue.

My mid-2010 Snow Leopard unibody MacBook Pro does not allow any device to work in the rear-most usb port, the one next to the external monitor port. The port does have power, which was confirmed by a blinking light on my usb stick. The USB port stopped working just a few days ago, when I noticed my wireless mouse was not working, which ended up being due to the port. The other two ports work fine, as does the rest of the computer, but on a side note it seems to have slowed down recently, within the last couple of weeks.

Here are the things that I have tried to fix the port:

Reset the PRAM using: control + option + P + R
    As shown here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Reset the SMU using: shift + control + option +power
    As shown here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Apple Hardware Test (AHT)
    As shown here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

The AHT did not provide any information that anything was wrong.

Called Apple Outsourced Support (I was almost fooled until they could not pronounce "bend", the accent was flawless until then). They had me do the PRAM reset and the SMU reset and then told me that there were other hardware checks that could be only done at the Mac Store. When asking if one of those happened to be the AHT, they said it was, but there were others as well.

Here are the current alternatives as I know them, in no particular order:

1. Run additional software/hardware tests at home.
    2. Go to the apple store.
    3. Use one of the local authorized service centers.
    4. Replace my USB 2.0 with 3.0 (in the future, when available).

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Call Apple and see what they think or bring it in if you live near one. You've done all of the things that would make sense to do so it may be a hardware issue (something's broken inside.)

3. aimeeinohio macrumors regular

aimeeinohio

My MBP's front USB port quit working a month or so ago.

4. Choppa thread starter macrumors newbie

I am still thinking that there is a better solution. I should have explained that I am nowhere near an apple store (3 hrs away). I am also not sure of the authorized service center (ASC) reliability and what they charge. Both were closed in the area today so I was unable to determine the repair cost. I have Apple Care, but the aforementioned customer service rep was unsure as whether they would charge a fee or do the warranty work for nothing.

My main reluctance on getting service is due to the need for my computer at the moment and the fact that the AHT showed no abnormalities. Even though I took the customer service reps words with a grain of salt, it still peaked my interest when they mentioned "other hardware tests." If these other tests involved just utilizing software or something more cost effective than driving 3hrs or utilizing the local ASC then I would be all for it. I have read several things about 3rd party software testing for issues, but I imagine that some of it is just a way to get more crap on your machine.

If by chance anyone has any experience with Authorized Service Centers, please chime in as I am interested to hear about it.