MacBook Pro USBs don't work

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bowdre01, Nov 1, 2012.

1. bowdre01 macrumors newbie

So, recently my two usb ports are not working. The port closest to me is completely unresponsive and the other works on occasion. Usually it will work for about a minute, though my ipod registers as being connected to a 1.1 usb and not a 2.0, and then return to being unresponsive like the other one. I have already tried resetting PRAM and SMC and to no avail. I am basically assuming that the hardware is broken and that I will have to buy a new logic board or a new mac in order to have working usb ports again. Does anyone else have another idea for me?

2. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

I would think so. Logic board repairs can be very pricey! Almost to the point your better off buying a mac. I don't do hardware repairs very often but I don't think they are anything you can take off and resolder to the board. And its not like windows where if you have a problem with hard ware just go into device manager uninstall it and and reboot the computer and pray that it works.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

First I'd try reinstalling OSX just to make sure it isn't a software issue. If that doesn't take care of the problem, take it in to an Apple store, they can look at it and quote a repair price.

4. bowdre01 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done this. I wiped my entire hard drive this last weekend because I had a bad linux partition that I wanted to get rid of as well. I reinstalled OSX and the problem persists. Thanks for the idea though. I guess I'm off to the apple store