MacBook Pro use in commercials

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Virgo, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Does anyone else notice that 99% of the time, when someone is using a laptop in a commercial, it's a MacBook Pro? They usually put an ugly circle sticker over the apple logo, though. I was just thinking about it and then a frontline flea med commercial came on, followed by a citibank one.. Both used MBPs. I guess that attests to how good-looking/marketable they are. ;)

2. saberahul macrumors 68040

True although i don't know why there is a licensing issue. I own a MBP. if I make a commercial - I should be able to use it cus it is my product; so what is the need to cover up the logo? It's not like I put it there...

3. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

I could be wrong but I think they voluntarily cover the logo so as not to give apple free advertising/product placement.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Ya that would make sense but then again it may help boost their sales too. Apple products are like coach purses for women...

5. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

You're completely right. Of course, you pretty much need to own a MBP to pick up on it. I doubt if many people realize anything other than a good-looking laptop.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

That's not how it works. The logo is part of the brand (which they own) and they are very particular on who does what and where:

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Apple puts no money in their pocket, so they cover up the Apple logo.

It's allllllllllllllllllllllll about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

8. robert83 macrumors newbie

I always feel proud when I see a Macbook Pro in commercials and I actually own one!

9. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

It's about control. They reserve the right to control their image via how the Apple logo is used/presented. When you see product-placement Macs in movies, it's Apple that's paying money, not the other way around.

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There's two factors that lead to Apple products showing up in commercials/TV Shows/Movies without Apple paying for the product placement:

1. Apple's computers are more visually attractive than many competitors, so they look better in the advertising, even if they have to cover the logo.

2. Most ad agency's use Macs, so if they need to simply grab a computer to place into a shot, it's probably going to be a Mac that they have lying close at hand.

jW

11. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

That makes sense. Iirc, the few commercials that I have seen using non-mac laptops were the creepy local low budget ones.

12. biodigitaljazz macrumors member

It's not just commercials, even. On the pilot of FX's new show Wilfred, in one of the first shots, when the main character Ryan was writing his suicide note, he was on a MBP. Of course, as the above posters mentioned, there was a big sticket covering the Apple on the back of it.