Macbook Pro use Wifi and USB Tethering?

parkm13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I was just curious to see if I could pull data from both wifi and from my iPhone tethering via USB? I need to download huge files from work and my home Wifi is very slow, just hoping this could give it a boost. Any information would be great, thanks!

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
I was just curious to see if I could pull data from both wifi and from my iPhone tethering via USB? I need to download huge files from work and my home Wifi is very slow, just hoping this could give it a boost. Any information would be great, thanks!
Uhhhhhh, no.

You can't use two sources at the same time, that doesn't make much sense anyway.

parkm13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
Uhhhhhh, no.

You can't use two sources at the same time, that doesn't make much sense anyway.
Why doesn't it make sense? It seems to me that a 2mb/s 3G connection mixed with a 2mb/s wifi would help me out. However im not the most techno-savy guy around. Just throwing out ideas.

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Why doesn't it make sense? It seems to me that a 2mb/s 3G connection mixed with a 2mb/s wifi would help me out. However im not the most techno-savy guy around. Just throwing out ideas.
It just doesn't work that way :)

You can't combine two connections of 2 and 3mbps for a 5mbps connection.

allypumba

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2013
I don't think it's impossible. Simple adding 2mb plus 3mb does not make 5mb connection, true...however, having two simultaneous connections is possible, with two separate ip addresses.

For example: your 3mb connection could be dedicated to downloading large files whilst you use your 2mb to surf web/stream videos.

How, I'm not entirely sure, maybe multihoming??