MacBook Pro user considering iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by djejrejk, Feb 15, 2008.

1. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I am the happy owner of a 2.33 MacBook Pro. I take it everywhere with me, it has all of the power and portability I need for audio and photo editing, and writing (code and research papers). I am entering graduate school this summer and I am considering a second computer for a few reasons.

1. I never turn my MBP off,.. want it to last a few more years.

2. Want the added security of a second computer.. if my notebook dies, I need a computer to write and research.

3. I want to be able to access my archive (external hd) from anywhere via back to my mac.

I have considered purchasing a MacMini and a cinema display,.. would give me the option to use the bigger monitor with the Macbook Pro or the Mac Mini.. but I hate dealing with excess cables and I want a machine with a faster 3.5 in drive. My only gripe about the iMac is the screen.. they seem to be pretty hit or miss these days (especially the 20 in models). I will wait for the next refresh if I decide to buy.

I know that at least some of you own both a Macbook Pro and iMac.. is it overkill? Do you find that you don't use the iMac enough to justify the purchase in hindsight?

Discuss...

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

i'm in the same boat as you - thinking of buying either a mini or an iMac. However, we have iMacs at work and I have to say that I'm real impressed - even with the 20" models. The screen is better than some of the complaints on here would suggest and overall they're joy to use.

I'm still holding out, but I think I'm gonna pull the trigger fairly soon - the 20" iMac is a lot of computer for the dough.

3. Nanaki macrumors member

Me, too. I'm desperately waiting for a refresh - hoping for a matte screen and a better graphics card. That's the only reason why I haven't taken the plunge yet. I don't think it's TOO overkill. I have the same reasons that you have for wanted to table my MBP for the moment - longevity+portability. I've got a 500GB external HD that I want to access wherever. Who else is in the same boat as us three?

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I'm also considering the same thing. I own the same model MBP, and use it now as my main computer. However, I'm looking at purchasing the 24" model. I'm not as concerned about the screen issues, as I will absolutely have an external monitor attached. I'm also considering the mini with a 24" monitor (not Apple). I am not sure I understand your concerns about excess cables as the only cable you'll have that the iMac doesn't is a monitor cable. Also, if you opt for wireless keyboard and mouse, the power and monitor cable will be the only 2 cables that need be attached?

For what you've described you use your computer for, the mini sounds like a better option, as you don't seem to need the more powerful graphics card. You can easily swap out the hard drive for one equally fast as those that come in the iMac. Anyway, whatever you decide, I wish you the best. :)