MacBook Pro User Looking for Upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tmricks, Jul 27, 2010.

1. tmricks macrumors newbie

I am currently using a MacBook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz and love it. I soon began editing HD video and messing around with 3d animations in Cinema 4d on my i7 920 gaming pc but wanted to make the switch over to Mac.

I was wondering what any of you would suggest for what I want to do? Main programs I would be using are After Effects CS4, Photoshop CS4, and Cinema 4d. Would a 15" MacBook Pro i5 do the job or should I keep my current MacBook and go with an iMac or baseline Mac Pro?

Thanks ahead of time. Also I am on a tight budget so keep that in mind (around $2500).

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

For messing around, the 13" MBP will be fine. If you make money with those programs or want better experience with the graphics, a Mac with a dedicated GPU will be in order. If you go the MBP or iMac route depends on your portability needs.

3. pyramis macrumors member

If you're doing this stuff professionally and therefore sitting in one place for hours editing video, then a Mac Pro may be your ticket. If it's less mission-critical, and will double as your everyday workhorse, the 15" MBP is plenty of power and screen for your needs.

4. tmricks thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, I am not doing this professionally (at least not yet) just getting a "professional opinion" on what I could do.