Macbook (Pro) users: Where do you keep your dock?

Where do you keep your dock?

• At the default position on the bottom of the screen.

Votes: 102 53.7%
  • On the left

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • On the right

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • On the bottom, but hidden...

Votes: 51 26.8%

• Total voters

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I'm curious to see where MB(P) users keep their dock. I've traditionally kept mine right at the bottom, but I'm wondering if there's a benefit to moving it to one of the sides, so you can use more screen space???

Let me know where you keep yours!

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
I'm curious to see where MB(P) users keep their dock. I've traditionally kept mine right at the bottom, but I'm wondering if there's a benefit to moving it to one of the sides, so you can use more screen space???

Bottom, set to auto-hide.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
On the bottom in the default place once I changed it from the reflective dock to the dock like the one in Tiger (simple terminal code), I liked it a lot more.

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Ah, see, the auto-hide isn't really an option for me. I like to see new emails or IM's as they come in...

Does anybody use the magnification???

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
left, hidden. The screen is wide, but web pages and documents are tall, so I try to move everything to the side (of course with autohide it doesn't matter much).

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Ah, see, the auto-hide isn't really an option for me. I like to see new emails or IM's as they come in...

Does anybody use the magnification???

I am the exact same I like to see email's and IM's as they come in. I do use magnification more because I just like the look of it, and I like to know where my mouse is on the dock when it maybe off the screen.

bagelche

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Western Mass.
because of screen real estate laterally versus vertically it makes sense to dock the dock (er...) on the side. I just can't do that because it seems too imbalanced visually. Therefore I keep it on the bottom, but hidden. There are occasional reasons why I'd want to keep it visible (activity monitor icons, for example), but I don't. Magnification is on, but farely subtle, more as a small accent.

Oh, and this is on my 15.4" MBP. On my 20" and 24" desktops at work it's on the bottom, visible and fairly small, with somewhat more obvious magnification.

Could something like Growl help with your alert needs?

Scottsdale

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
My beautiful glass dock:

Edit: Please view full size to see the detail. I made the Dock look like the new Dock menus in Snow Leopard.
How does one go about making their own dock? I have seen them a few times, and I have some excellent ideas, but don't know where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago

Mine is on the right for the extra vertical space, given that there is less of it to begin with. I tried on the left at first but I dont know, I just decided on going with the right side.

If I had a 15" I would perhaps keep it at the bottom. A 17", for sure at the bottom as there is plenty of space.

nza

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009

I always felt it takes up far too much valuable screen real estate at the bottom.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Bottom, will prob stay that way forever.

Had it on the left side but couldn't stand the fact that the screen was a little off balance, and that it's much easier to glance down than leftwards.

mlemonds

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
Lexington, KY
i used to use it on the left until i started using my external monitor. I didnt like it shifting the dock all the way over to the other monitor and i could not get used to the dock on the right. No magnification; gets to annoying if your mouse ventures too close to the dock on accident.