MacBook Pro using Battery only - CPU performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Artmuzz, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Artmuzz macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have been reading on this forum and from other sourses that if you remove the battery from a MacBook Pro and use just the power supply it reduces the CPU performance. I was wondering if this was the same if using just the battery without the power supply.

Would using just the battery on a MacBook Pro reduce CPU performance?

Please advise

Artmuzz

2. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

really not sure to be honest

i dont think it kills the power quite as baddly as just running off mains, but i'd imagine theres some very aggressive power optimization going on in order to make the battery last as long as possible.

when i had to run on mains only (battery went for replacment) i noticed alot of things, like the dock were quite sluggish, but this doesnt happen when just running off battery.

infact for most things running off battery only is no different that when your plugged in and using the battery as well. i'd guess the heavier you use it the quicker the battery drains... thats all.

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I don't think performance is reduced, but on a side note, I have heard of (and witnessed) the battery being slightly drained, even while the computer is connected to a/c power, when the computer is running very taxing programs.

4. Artmuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

The reason I ask is because I feel my MacBook Pro runs slower than my iMac which is strange considering my 2.4 Ghz MacBook Pro has a faster CPU than my 2.0Ghz iMac.

I use music production software called Reason 4 and when I play a demo on my iMac only one green light shows up on Reason's DSP metre. When I play the same demo on my MacBook Pro two green lights show up on the DSP metre even though my MacBook Pro has the same amount of memory and a faster CPU than my iMac. This is with both the battery and power supply plugged into my MacBook Pro.

Very strange:confused:

Artmuzz

5. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

might it be something to do with the HDD?

if your imac is packing a 7200RPM drive, that will give it an edge in a program such as that

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you run on AC and use maximum CPU, the computer will use a bit more power than than the AC can provide and will use battery to supplement. When you use battery only, it will just drain the battery a lot faster.