MacBook Pro v MacBook Performance Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ninjapenguinart, Nov 26, 2008.

1. ninjapenguinart macrumors regular

So, I decided that if the discounts this Friday are good enough that I might upgrade my PowerBook G4 to a new MacBook, becuase well they are really sexy and using my PowerBook next to my new iMac makes me realize my PowerBook is REALLY outdated . . . I don't mind the smaller screen of the MacBook or the loss of the firewire, which means I really care more about performance gain from High End MacBook v Mid End MacBook Pro "aka the higher end shiny new 15" one" :D

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You can poke around at barefeats.com for some benchmarks. CPU performance is about the same (the high-end MB and low-end MBP use the exact same CPU, actually). The main performance edge of the MBP is the graphics card, unless you opt for the 2.8Ghz processor.

Keep in mind, the MBP screen is not just bigger, it's also a MUCH higher quality panel. Check these pics out (these were the images that convinced me I had made the right decision "going pro"):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The MBP is still a better computer than the new, admittedly rather attractive MB. It has more power, a better performance, and above all, that superb screen. Check them out side by side at an Apple store to see the difference for yourself, but my recommendation would be for the MBP. If money is a problem, then I suggest that you consider the refurb route.

Cheers and good luck

4. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

why bother with a mbp,
    the performance gain is mainly gpu, unless you want to play games on a mbp over a 24" imac, i would recommend the mb
    i would recommend getting a 2ghz alu mb,
    but i honestly wouldn't bother updating the powerbook till it breaks, you have a new imac the only thing you need that macbook for is portability, the powerbook can cover that till it breaks
    but thats just my cents.

5. aleni macrumors 68020

the mb screen is really awful compared to macbook pro and air. it really sucks if you compare it. so if you want to buy a mb, just don't look at the mba and mbp display on the store because it can make you change your mind and waste more money to buy the mbp.

i'm using the new mbp btw.

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I bought a new MBP after having issues with the MB screen. But otherwise, I agree with iSpoody. If the 12" PB meets your needs, why not continue to use it? By the time it breaks and its not worth it to repair, God knows what Apple will offer.

7. Ploki macrumors 68000

i bought it because i had none :) i needed a portable
    i just decided at a right time :D