MacBook Pro v. MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brianmcm, Feb 28, 2008.

1. brianmcm macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    So I have been using a PowerBook G4 1.25 for just over 5 years now and it has worked great for me. With the updates 2 days ago, I have finally decided it is time to upgrade. For the most part, I do basic Photoshop and some Illustrator and dabble in some video (but I have an iMac at home that I can use for power jobs). I am thinking that a MacBook will fit my needs for the basic word processing, minor coding, web surfing, emailing that I do and will still be able to handle the occasion Photoshop job that I have to throw at it. I don't play video games and no intense motion so the graphics card isn't a concern.

I am worried about the fact that multi-touch isn't included, that the screen is 13" from 15", and that the black finish looks horrible over time. Has anyone had a bad experience with the smaller screen real-estate or with fan noise that they can share.

I know there are other posts in this forum asking for advice, but I am specifically concerned with the size of the screen, the laptop physically looking bad over time and the loud fan issues that I have read about.

Any buying advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Brian

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

The MB should be powerful enough, with a decent amount of RAM and the fast processor it will easily handle light photo and video work.

As for multi-touch trackpad, it's a new feature, who knows how useful it will actually be.

The screen isn't bad, it's fine for work. Keep in mind the the MBP has a higher screen resolution so things don't appear larger on the screen, there will just be more space to work.

On my MacBook I had no problem with fan noise, in fact there's more of a problem with noise on my MBP.

3. l4t13 macrumors regular

With the most recent upgrades a MB will work fine. The only major difference is the Video cards and screen size

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

+1 for MacBook. Your iMac should be able to handle the rest.

As for Multitouch, I can't see myself using it enough to make this the deciding factor for the jump to an MBP. Your preferences could be different, but you'll have to decide that one for yourself.

5. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

Hi Brian,

multi-touch is the new 'thing', if you can wait, test it out at an Apple store or find a friend with a new MBP. If you really need something like that a better option is a Intuos3 attached to your macbook. A stylus and tablet will be more useful in photoshop and illustrator than mult-touch.