MacBook Pro Value (Insurance Question)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by QueenSakina, Dec 3, 2010.

1. QueenSakina macrumors newbie

On Black Friday I bought myself a MacBook Pro 13" with iWork installed, and due to the Black Friday sale + student discount this came up to (GBP) £770.
    This includes VAT.

The device is actually in transit, and should arrive in about a weeks time. I have found an insurer that is catered towards students, but I need to give them a value of how much the laptop is worth in order for it to be covered.

Do I tell the insurer that it was £770 due to discounts or £999 + (cost of iWork) which it would be worth without discounts + the sale?

Help! (First time buying insurance, any help is greatly appreciated)

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't know if it's different in the UK, but here I'd typically go with valuing it at what it would cost to replace on short notice. In other words if you used a special/rare deal to buy, I'd value it instead at the everyday price you'd have to pay in the event of a covered loss.

3. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

^^ +1

If you give them the discount price, that's all you're going to get back if it's lost, stolen or damaged.

4. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Exactly. Give them the non-discounted price, what it would cost you every other day of the year.

5. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Don't know about the UK, but in the US you can buy two basic types of insurance:

1. Replacement Cost - they replace the item or give you the replacement cost.
    2. Actual value - they pay the depreciated value of the item.

For a computer you want to buy #1; your agent should be able to explain the cost and details, such as deductibles. In the US you can often get a "rider" on homeowner's insurance that covers such items, up to a certain amount, without naming them specifically. So college students can be covered by their parent's insurance rather than buy a separate policy.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Ask the insurer if you should include the cost of iWork in the coverage, assuming you have the original disk at home and the installed version isn't the only one you have. I just insured the value of the MBP, RAM and SSD. The value of the software itself is upwards of 3.5k if you go by purchase price, but I can easily reinstall it. Including it may needlessly drive up the cost (unless the difference is like a pound or two).