Price Advice Macbook Pro Value

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LouisLivesLife, Oct 30, 2011.

1. LouisLivesLife, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011

LouisLivesLife macrumors regular

LouisLivesLife

I've bought a Macbook Pro back in 2010 (August) and I might sell it. However I have no clue on how much I should ask for it. Do any of you guys have an Idea? :)

Note:
    -I upgraded the RAM with an extra 4gb
    -there is a little dent in the casing (only visible when light is put on top of it)
    -As for the rest of the Macbook it is in mint condition, regularly cleaned etc.

Reminder from the moderators: This thread is for price advice. You can ask for or offer advice on pricing but you may not offer to buy, sell, or trade in this thread or any other thread in the Buying Tips and Advice forum. All buying/selling/trading threads must be in the Marketplace forum, which is open only to established members. See the Rules for the Buying Tips and Advice forum and the Marketplace Rules. Thank you!

Specifications:

Attached Files:

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

3. ms.sarcastic macrumors newbie

I sold mine for $800 without a RAM upgrade. However, I offered an Office 2011 license on it which was a bonus.

Try your local Craigslist, you might get more of an idea how in demand the older MBP models are.

4. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Probably about $1000-1100. The upper end if you have the box, restore discs, etc., the lower if not. Add a bit if you have Applecare on it.

The introduction of Sandy Bridge MacBook Pros has driven down the resale value of the prior models significantly. And the new "refresh" last Monday has driven them down a bit more. The Sandy Bridge ones (whether Early or Late 2011) models are considerably faster and come with warranty, etc. And now that you can get a 2.0 quad core refurbished for $1359, a used 2.4 i5 dual core is hard to justify at much over $1000.

Hope that helps!

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

A starting point is to look at the Apple refurb page on their site keeping in mind that a refurb from Apple includes a warranty. Then consider asking for the same and accepting at least 10% less. The added RAM is nice but these days RAM is very cheap so that does not increase the value that much.

As a side note I also have a 2010 15" MBP, purchased Nov 2010, that I upgraded, see signature. I have tentative plans to sell mine next month and buy the latest refresh of the base 2011 15" to get the quad core CPU's... I know that my 15" which sold for $1,799 in last year is currently being sold as a refurb for only $1,189 which is a 33% drop - more than normal but that is likely because the new CPU's are that much better :eek:

7. Ihatefall macrumors regular

How did you get your dock to look like that?

is it a program or in the settings?:apple:

8. LouisLivesLife thread starter macrumors regular

LouisLivesLife

Cheers guys you helped me a lot! Will try to squeeze €1200 out of it.

9. AluminumMB macrumors regular

Why do you want to sell that MBP?

I have the exact same system...it's great for another 3 years

10. LouisLivesLife thread starter macrumors regular

LouisLivesLife

It still works great, that's a fact. But why de people change phones every year? I'm a bit of a fanboy and I like to have a new product every now and then :)
    The feeling of unboxing a new macbook, oh don't get me started.