MacBook Pro Value

LamboSE5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
Hey MacRumors,

I'd like to sell my MacBook Pro and I was wondering what it's worth and where, if other than kijiji/craigslist/ebay, to look to sell it.

I bought it in early 2012 (just after an upgrade occured because I returned my first one they sent me and then got the newer model) for school. I picked all the top tier options in the 'build'.

Here are the details:

-15" MacBook Pro; late 2011 (despite being purchased early 2012..)
-Model Identifier 8,2
-2.4Ghz Intel Core i7 quad core
-8GB memory
-Hi Res Screen option
-AMD Radeon HD 6770M
-750GB HDD
-Original Box etc
-No cosmetic damage (scrapes n' scratches)
-Bluetooth Mac Magic Mouse

I thought I'd ask the knowledgeable people of these forums before I go to sell it. I think I paid around $2200 at the time, I'd have to check on that.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

-Oh Also- What is the best and thorough method of wiping all personal data and such off a MacBook Pro before a sale to make sure that there is nothing left behind?

Thanks!

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
eBay - you may get $925-975 if its a good ad (based on completed sales)

AppleCare?

The model was originally $2200

LamboSE5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
Ebay hey,
I've never actually sold anything on ebay. I was going to about a year ago until I saw the cost to list an item for sale :/

Thanks for the ballpark, appreciate the help.
Maybe I'll throw a feeler ad up on kijiji and similar sites and see what happens.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
Ebay hey,
I've never actually sold anything on ebay. I was going to about a year ago until I saw the cost to list an item for sale :/

Maybe I'll throw a feeler ad up on kijiji and similar sites and see what happens.
Try Craiglist I am selling my mid 2009 macbook pro on there and depending on your area you may sell it faster there.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Ebay hey,

eBay final sale fees are what kill you. They take about 10% of the sale price.

You're better off on kijiji and CL.

I almost bought the same model as you - with the same specs. But then I found out about Radeongate and decided not to buy it. It was on CL, I negotiated a price of around $850-$900.

LamboSE5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
Radeongate?! The F? Haha, I'll have to look that up.
And ebay..takes 10% pff, no thanks. Damn.

Thanks guys.

Any links or suggestions for how to best completely erase before sale? I'll check youtube n DDG search.

Thanks again :D

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!

LamboSE5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2011
Thanks for the links.

I had just done a quick search on it before getting your links. If I've had mine for I guess just about ~3 years now. I guess there is no point where you know you're "out of danger" though is there?

I'm browsin kijiji now, people seem to be asking 800-1100 (1000 may be high) for similar model n' specs as mine. I'd sell mine for somewhere in the $900 area I think :)

We'll see.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I sold the same model but the 2.3ghz hi res anti glare with ati 6750m model with 16gb of ram. I got about $900 from eBay.

Pjrufus

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
It's not feasible for the average person to sell on ebay anymore. In addition to the cut ebay takes, Paypal gets a cut, there are shipping costs, and now, ebay just changed their terms for opening a claim from 45 days to 180. 5 months from now, someone could file a claim and say they rec'd a broken computer, phone or whatever.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
It's not feasible for the average person to sell on ebay anymore. In addition to the cut ebay takes, Paypal gets a cut, there are shipping costs, and now, ebay just changed their terms for opening a claim from 45 days to 180. 5 months from now, someone could file a claim and say they rec'd a broken computer, phone or whatever.
That's a good point about the claim timeframe. I've used eBay for over ten years and I've sold lots of stuff, but probably won't anymore because of the new changes. It's a good place to find some hard to find stuff though.

I don't think the OP will sell via eBay because they've never sold that way before.