Macbook pro version, which should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jvipe16, May 21, 2008.

1. jvipe16 macrumors newbie

I need some help whith one question?

I want to buy a MBP, but the problem is:
    I have two posibilities:

MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo (1600€), whith Tiger or the latest
    MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, Penryn whith Leopard (1749€)

I prefer an estable machine than a pretty desktop. The salesman said me that I should to buy the first one because is better and can I update to Leopard when ever I want.

I don't know what to do

sorry for my english
    Thanks,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    in spanish:

Soy usuario de pc, me he dicidio a cambiar a Mac. Me encuentro con el siguiente dilema:

Por precio tengo dos opciones el MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo (1600€), con Tiger o el nuevo MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, Penryn con Leopard (1749€)

La versión que lleva Leopard es tope de gama antes de la actualización al nuevo procesador Penryn. El vendedor me comenta que no piden las nuevas versiones por considerar la anterior mas estable y mas digna para el trabajo duro. También que la única diferencia es una interfaz gráfica no tan potente (equivalente a win xp) y que no incorpora boot camp(posibilidad de cambiar a Windows). Por otro lado, asegura que el procesador no tiene “picos” y rinde siempre igual.

A parte, e leído que apple admite fallos gráficos en los nuevos procesadores penryn.
    He llamado al servicio técnico de Apple y no me han sabido decir nada concreto.
    Delante de la imposibilidad de probar los productos para ver si satisfacen mis expectativas os pido consejo.

Busco una herramienta de trabajo fiable, ¿Cuál me aconsejais?

2. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

I would go for the second one with leopard. For 149 more you get a new processor, faster FSB, multi-touch trackpad, leopard already installed and a larger hard drive (I think on the last one).

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't know about the salesman's intentions, whether to clear old inventory or what.

The newer Peryn machine comes with more HDD space. It's slightly more efficient, uses a bit less battery, and it's the current generation machine

Of course value-wise you are saving about about €150 for 40GB of space, plus you get more L2 cache. The benefits of Peryn is not that great. You don't really get that much more battery. You can spend that extra money on getting a HDD replacement, more RAM, or something. You could get AppleCare for a bit more.

It's all about what else you can do with the money you save or spend more of. And my Spanish isn't very good, but from what the sales guys is pushing, he's saying the older models is more reliable? That's bullocks. I see he's beating the bushes and straight out lying to you about the reliability of the graphics card? The graphics cards on the two machines are the same.

I think you should should find a new store because this guys is trying to get you to buy older inventory by lying. Though, if you want to save bit of money then yes you can buy the older model. Though my converter tells me you are paying $2500US for the older model? It may be cheaper for you to buy by one from the states, have it shipped internationally and pay customs and VAT on it!