MacBook Pro versus the ice cube.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by South Dakota, Jan 2, 2008.

1. South Dakota macrumors newbie

So, in a desperate attempt to free a lodged ice cube from my glass last night, a shake sent one plopping right onto my wide open keyboard. A few bits of water from the ice hit the screen and the keys. I panicked. (My roommate had $1400 worth of water damage done to his MBP earlier in the fall.)

I immediately sopped up the access water with a paper towel, especially the lower screen. Granted, there wasn't much, and at first I didn't think it would harm the computer in the least. However.

After a few seconds with the ice cube, the flashing white "I'm sleeping" light pulsed off and didn't come back on. I may have been holding down the power button and made this happen, but I can't really remember per the freak-out. I then proceeded to vacuum any remaining water out of the keyboard/screen and removed the battery (without turning it upside down) and placed them both near a warm vent. It would seem as though the water is gone and not enough had gotten into the computer to corrode anything... Also, the battery was nearly dead when this all happened and the computer was running on battery. The tiny green light flashes when I check the battery.

MY question....I haven't tried to turn it on yet for complete fear. Any suggestions? Maybe I'm being a little dramatic? I just don't want to fry anything.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

hard to tell, but I'd give the machine at least a day to dry out and then try it. My guess is that you should have gotten away with it - there isn't likely to be that much water shed by a single ice cube that you retrieved quickly.

3. Albal macrumors member

You're being dramatic!

Turn her on.

I left my powerbook under an open sky light in the wet, when I rescued it, water poured off the computer...

Turned it on and it was fine. I constantly spill juice and stuff on it and it is fine.

Dont worrrry!

4. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Well, we have the two extremes going on here....

I sure hope that all is well. Now if you had let the ice cube melt into the machine, then I'd really be worried. I suspect you'll be just fine! :D

5. future macnerd macrumors member

did you just say you constantly spill liquids on your $2,000+ mbp?

6. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

You should be fine to turn it on now seeing that it was only an ice cube that was on it for only a few seconds.

7. LeftoverCrack macrumors member

i think the only water that got anywhere was broken pieces of ice that melted immediately on contact with the warm computer.

8. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Whaaaaaat?

Where exactly do you spill it, while it's closed? Into the keyboard? Weird..

9. kkmac macrumors newbie

If the MBP are anything like the MB, the coolness from the ice cube probably did your computer a world of good!

Run it. It will probably even run better now. :p

10. Albal macrumors member

No, PowerBook. And not on purpose. Obviously.

Juice is onto the keyboard. Makes the keys stick down at times. A little annoying.

The water window incident was onto the back of it, whilst it was closed. It was absolutely fine.

Whilst we're on the subject of abuse, it's got quite a few dents too.

None if it is intentional. I am not particularly careless. They've all be pretty isolated stupid incidents. Been lucky for sure.

11. Templex macrumors regular

Wait, you're panicking over a single ice cube that landed on your MBP? Come on, that's like a few drops of water at the most.

I use a wet towel to wipe my keyboard all the time.

12. anotherarunan macrumors 6502

Although i dont think the OP should worry that much, i think YOU, my friend, should do! :eek:

13. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Although this brings me to wonder, how much water will fry a mac? A drop through the keyboard, a couple of drops? Where is the MBP's most vulnerable point of water damage?

14. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

It's not on the keys that will break anything. You need to worry about water (or any other liquid for that matter) getting in between the keys and getting on the logic board.

Someone spilled water on my keyboard when they were drunk on my 3 week old MBP. I don't know who did it, but I went to sleep and I know that I closed the lid. I woke up and the thing was drenched in water. The laptop was ruined.

All it takes is one drop of water to fry something. The more the water, the higher the chance that something to ruined.

15. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Aw man, I'm so sorry to hear that :(

16. Smurfed macrumors regular

It's like sperm, you only need 1 to impregnate.

17. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

You should also never spill sperm on your laptop. It won't spawn small subnotebooks for that reason no matter how much you want it.

18. ophidean macrumors member

The Jeff Lebowski attitutde towards MBPs, I love it!

19. AndyClarke macrumors regular

AndyClarke

Well the OP had not replied so I guess he cooked it....

20. wildwobby macrumors member

More likely, it's working and doesn't remember his post or hasn't had time to update us.

21. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Or he's taking post trauma counseling.

22. Albal macrumors member

Why? It's only a material object. As they say; sh*t happens.

Haha yeah. Lebowski knows where it's at.

Just don't pee on my PowerBook. ;)

23. ophidean macrumors member

"Hey, not on the RUG, man..."

24. South Dakota thread starter macrumors newbie

Good news guys.

As it seems, my safety precautions prevented from my MBP getting messed. Even the water that got in between the lid and the screen seemed to get absorbed or evaporated. Thanks for all advice/confidence to turn it back on!