Macbook Pro, Very strange Screen. Motherboard fried? ideas?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NinjaHospital, Apr 23, 2009.

1. NinjaHospital macrumors newbie

Happened suddenly yesterday. The screen appeared and stopped working. No reason. No movement of the machine. And today again after two hours of heavy Lightroom editing. A bit of cooling worked momentarily. (used a 12 pack of cold beer placed under the computer :)
    Now, starts and freezes after a couple seconds.

Apple Service checked to see if it was one of the "defect" graphic cards. It is not. It is an ATI (that is what they told me) ... they propose a "full motherboard" change... very expensive.

Anyone has seen/experience anything like this? It is not a screenshot. (iphone photo of a external Quato, the laptop display shows the same pattern.

I can acces the hard disc of the laptop in HardDisc mode, works fine. ...

Any help would be great!!! Thanks in advance

[​IMG]

2. Illicit macrumors 6502

The 'defective card' they are talking about is the nVidia 8600m GT.
    Have you tried hooking up an external display and seeing if the problem translates?
    a new logic board could set you back $900-$1000.

3. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea my guess is that since it's showing up on both the external and on the computer it's a graphics card problem. unfortunately the graphics card is soldered on tho the logic board so they have to replace the whole thing.

ps - im pretty sure there is no need for a Ninja Hospital:p

5. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Yeah, definitely video card. Same thing happened to my first gen MBP. Applecare took care of it. They kept my computer a day or two and then it was better than new.

6. NinjaHospital thread starter macrumors newbie

fans work

fans work and computer on firewire disc too. ... right now is being migrated to a brand new 17", 2.92, matt screen. .... still would love to save it though

7. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

8. richart macrumors newbie

ATI GPU problem

I have exactly the same problem with my ATI Macbook pro. See attached photo. Although apple will repair the Nvidia GPU the genius and Supervisor at the Regent St Apple store London said that apple do not recognize any problem with the ATI GPU. They agreed that it was the ATI GPU, and suggested that I buy a new main board for £500. I consider this very shabby treatment.

Since apple under clocked the ATI GPU as standard they clearly saw that the ATI GPU was risky. I have read many other posts on this issue, apple should do the decent thing and replace the main board free of charge.

Attached Files:

9. Rics macrumors newbie

Hi to all, i got the identical problem some days ago with my 15" Macbook Pro (v2.2) 2.16ghz ATI X1600.
    Anyone have news or solved the problem without going to replace the logic board?

Thank you!