MacBook Pro + VGA Adapter in Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by applekid, May 18, 2009.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

The only information I can dig up on this is that it supposedly worked in Boot Camp 1.4...

I have a MacBook Pro Core Duo. I installed Windows XP on it through Boot Camp. I updated the drivers to the Boot Camp 2.1 package and downloaded Service Pack 3. I am not having any luck in getting a VGA monitor I have hooked up to the MacBook Pro using the proper adapter to work.

Under Displays, the second monitor is detected. When I change the resolution, nothing happens. When I do extended desktop, my cursor is able to go to the right side of the screen, but still nothing. The only time I got the display to work is during boot up. Oddly when the Windows startup screen and status bar are going on after powering up, that image is mirrored to my display. Afterwards the display goes blank. It doesn't have the Check Signal Cable screen, but the screen is blank. I tried the ATI Catalyst Control Center and drivers, but the CCC complains about a MOM.exe (I believe) is missing or not working. I tried the Boot Camp and regular Windows XP versions. At one point, I think I erased the Apple drivers, so the monitor worked, but I got no hardware acceleration, was limited to 1280 x 1024, and the MacBook Pro display was off. The Device Manager recognized it as a VGA adapter missing drivers.

So, do the VGA adapters just not work in Boot Camp or am I doing something wrong?

2. applekid thread starter macrumors 68020

Just a small update...

I tried using an DVI->HDMI converter and cable to see if the HDTV's around the house could output video properly. If I use the right resolution, everything does work. However, I am limited to only extended desktop. Apparently unchecking extended desktop will make no image show up on the screen.

This whole video out thing is finicky. Apple needs some better drivers.

3. engrhu macrumors newbie

XP on MAC with NVidia chip: enable VGA cloning

If you have a Mac Book Pro with NVIDIA graphics chip, then you can do the following:
    1. Goto NVidia control panel, which you can find under start->controlPanel->NVidia_Control_Panel
    2. Once open, select "setup multiple displays"
    3. select "the same on both displays" radial button
    4. Select "PV1919+Laptop Display". PV1919 is my remote monitor model number. You should see your remote display model number instead of mine, which should be connected through the Mac supplied VGA adapter (you have to buy this, it is extra)
    5. For a good resolution on your remote monitor, select "change resolution" under the NVidia_Control_Panel
    6. Try the different resolutions available for best results.