MacBook Pro Video Card Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lil' brudder, Apr 11, 2010.

1. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Hey all, this may be a really stupid question, but I need an answer on the quick. I tried googling it, but couldn't find what I needed to know, and I know this is probably easy knowledge for most everyone here. So here is my question...

Does the Santa Rosa MacBook Pro have a separate graphics card, or is the graphics card part of the logic board? I know it has discrete graphics, but I am considering buying one, but it has an issue with the graphics card. If I can install a graphics card, great. I just don't want to pay for a new logic board. Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think Santa Rosa MBPs have 8600M GT which is still covered by warranty as Apple extended it due the popularity of the issue.

3. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

The one I'm looking at on eBay said it was already sent to Apple. I guess that alone makes me a little wary of it, but it is also dirt cheap, so I don't have much to lose. Is the 8600GT a separate part or is it integrated into the logic board? I know it is discrete, but I've found no 8600GT part.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The graphics card is a part of the logic board.

5. lil' brudder thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think it's integrated/soldered onto the mobo as I can't find one which is compatible with MBP

7. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

It shouldn't be. Apple will still fix it if you bring it in due to an extended hardware defect found in the 8600GT cards. Take it in - you just might get a replacement!

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You're right, it is soldered to the logic board.

[​IMG]

The GPU is the large chip on the left right above the southbridge (chip that says "intel"). As you can see, you won't be disassembling this anytime soon.