MacBook Pro video corruption & died!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mr.Gadget, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Mr.Gadget macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

Just running updates this morning and right in the middle, the screen got rainbow, diagonal boxes all across the screen. Then the system beach balled and would not respond. Hard booted and boots to rainbow screen even before OS launch. :mad:
    Tried to get into my BootCamp partition and simply reboots after a minute of trying to boot into XP.
    When I let it try to boot to OSX, the rainbow screen goes away and I get a grey screen but no boot.
    In Firewire Target Disk Mode, I get the Firewire logo behind the rainbow screen. I have not yet tried to connect via Target mode as I do not have a firewire device handy.
    MY MBP is out of warranty as of November!
    Think it is a dead drive, dead video, or dead motherboard? Is this going to be a killer repair bill? :confused:

2. milton.sheaf macrumors regular

Nvidia 8600M is your video? If so, sorry but your system board needs replacing now. Defective graphics chip from Nvidia.

3. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

ATI X1600 w/256MB is my video

Here is a pic of the screen:
    [​IMG]

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

5. Mr.Gadget thread starter macrumors 6502

Mr.Gadget

I was afraid of that! Weird how it happened while the system was sitting still on my desk. Maybe the heat just caused a failure that had already started.
    I do take this with me everywhere, been doing it for just over 3 years. I baby it though and carry it in a nice Brenthaven case. Bummer... I contacted a local service center to take a look at it... Argggg...